SPierce
Greener Thumb

Deformed seedling?

Okay, my last sweet pepper seedling finally straightened up (it's been bent over into the dirt for a bit for the last few days) and it seems to be deformed. The two starter leaves are half brown and shriveled, and the stem is a little thicker/odder looking than most, but it was still strong enough to sprout so I don't want to give up on it.

Is there any particular way that's best to take care of it/feed it until it's first true leaves come up, or do I just leave it to fend for itself and see what happens? Should I separate the leaves a little (they're attached together on the ends) or leave those also?

I know it's a rather strange question, but as I always had trouble growing peppers in the first place so I really don't want to call it a loss and I grow attached to all my plants. It feels wrong to throw it away. Has anyone else had one? How did it do?

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

It is hard to tell without a photo, but I think it is perfectly normal that it is like that.
In my experience, I have seen seedlings that look deformed and very strange when they just begin to sprout, but then, they grow into strong, healthy plants :)
As long as the seedling is growing, it will be fine!

SPierce
Greener Thumb

AnnaIkona wrote:It is hard to tell without a photo, but I think it is perfectly normal that it is like that.
In my experience, I have seen seedlings that look deformed and very strange when they just begin to sprout, but then, they grow into strong, healthy plants :)
As long as the seedling is growing, it will be fine!
I will try to take a photo tomorrow in decent light. I sure hope it ends up OK - this is just the first out of normal one I've ever had sprout. Thank you!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”