gardenernotes
Newly Registered

How to Test Seeds for Germination Before Planting

How to Test Seeds for Germination Before Planting

imafan26
Mod

I usually just put a few seeds in a pot and label the date of the seeds. If they sprout and grow they are good and if not, I will try a second time and if still nothing, then I know the seeds are goners.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

For me, testing seed viability early, on damp paper towel or such, offers some advantages. I can do it beside my favourite chair :) . It can be done early enough so that if some of my seed is poor, the seed-retailers will still have lots of fresh stock, and there's plenty of time for raising seedlings before it gets too late to plant out some varieties.

imafan26
Mod

I used to do that paper towel method or the seed soak. But when the seeds were good, I had to sacrifice them because, I did not have much luck or should I say patience to plant them without breaking them and at 10-30 cents a seed now days that would be a waste.

I have a lot of mystery seed that I either did not label at the time I collected them or the writing has faded off. I have learned to put a piece of paper with the name and date in the bag for insurance now. Sometimes, serendipity decides when I collect seeds. I always keep a zip loc or two in my purse but I don't always have paper to write on and I have to use a special pen on the zip loc or it rubs off easily. I have to guess what they are plant them and get the surprise later. People know I like plants and they give me seeds and some of them I remember the names but others I will have to plant to figure them out.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Oh, just to clarify; I'm usually testing a sample of my own saved seed (cost me nothing :) ), doing it "too early" so I just discard it when it sprouts (or doesn't) then buy fresh seed if necessary for the real start of the season. In the past I've tried disentangling sprouts from the paper, but no longer - I agree it's too frustrating and damaging to the seedlings.

imafan26
Mod

Oh, I see. I usually only test seeds I have bought that are over 5 years old for viability. Saved seeds usually do o.k., although sometimes they are a mystery when I forget what they are.

imafan26
Mod

Thanks for that tip. I have been having trouble finding china markers. I usually look for them when school starts, that is the only time the store stocks them. I did not find any this year. I would like to get colors other than black. I did not think to look for them at craft stores.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”