Susan W
Greener Thumb

seeds for today

As I try to expand my horizons on plant starts, planted more seeds today. My order from Horizon Herbs (now call themselves Strictly Medicinal) came in yesterday, and you know what that means!

Arnica (meadow)
Indian hemp aka dog bane -thinking of my 18th c interests. If it takes, may need to be contained!
feverfew
hyssop
plantain (broadleaf) I know, common weed, but I don't think I have it in my yard.
pennyroyal. I have to treat more as an annual as it goes south on me by mid-late summer.
parsley -always need more

Calendula. Put off for another day (space?!) Need to try as a spring blooming plant

imafan26
Mod

Plantain keeps reseeding so you need to keep cutting off the seed heads.

applestar
Mod

Did you really BUY plantain seeds? You should have told me you needed some. :o

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Yes, I know plantain can spread, and those growing it for using may keep in containers. As for buying seeds, $3.00 (postage in with total order) . That will hardly buy you a cup of coffee!

The plant is not native to US, but came over early from Europe. Some seeds brought along with hay or mud on shoes, and some deliberately brought as medicinal. The Natives Americans adapted the plant for medicinal purposes early on.

applestar
Mod

Don't be silly, SusanW, I wouldn't have sold you any even if you had asked. I have your mailing address and a postage stamp. I meant you shouldn't have paid for it. :lol:

But if you REALLY wanted some, I could probably send you at least 1/2 cupfull ...well, I could if they weren't all buried in snow.... :>

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Apple, thank you, and may need some later in spring. Now I'm trying to get some new things going for spring starts. Last frost mid April, and I get some early hardy stuff out by end of March. Plantain is one I can start in summer, winter it, and have good starts the next season. Right?!
What I started today won't be ready for a couple of months, but at least getting it going, along with just 'a few' other varieties going.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”