Susan W
Greener Thumb

Next step in seed starting

After the plants have sprouted, a few true leaves and getting some size, then what? Do you put in larger pots or direct to ground?

I'm working with my unsophisticated kitchen table, peat pellets (10 or 12/tray). Once up can move to a secondary area. Once really going, up to 4" pots. Of course in winter space becomes an issue. Not all of the seeds germinate, and some of them don't make it. But then I'm messing with some herbs that are finicky and for plants mostly perennials. Some of the peat pellets get doubled up in the 4" pots, especially chives, oregano, and a few others. I usually have 2's of basil, parsley and a couple of others.

My next challenge for space is upping some of the 4" pots. There's a mess of 4" hardier perennials in the mini greenhouses on the deck. Starting next month will be upping some of those to quart pots.

So, what do you do as plant babies grow, space limited especially in winter?

imafan26
Mod

I congratulate you on getting anything to grow in peat pellets. I gave up on them a long time ago.
I have space issues too and starting a single seed in a plug takes up a lot of room so I start my seeds in community pots. 4 inches square. I can easily get anywhere from 10 to way too many (>50) in there. I don't mind transplanting and even the hard to transplant ones like beets, dill, cilantro and the other ones with long fine roots can still be transplanted although a few of them will be lost. I got 100 -3.5 inch pots of fennel from one 4 inch community pot. I already have 2 trays (25 pots each) of papaya and I still have more seedling to transplant. I have transplanted one tray of beefsteak tomatoes and probably have close to three more. I planted a wildflower mix and that filled one tray. I also transplanted 2 trays of toscano kale from one compost and 4 trays of Dwarf blue kale from another compot.

The compot (community pot) did not take up much space on the starter bench but the transplants have already filled a twenty foot x 4 ft wide bench with about 20 trays. I am starting on the second bench. I haven't even started the lettuce seedlings yet.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I'm already dealing with less than adequate plant space. The new shelves in the southern facing picture window are full, the table in the basement is full, the top shelf on my plant rack is nearly full. I even added a new shelf and light above the bathroom door where I have several pots of cuttings and a Venus flytrap growing. I need to clean out the lower shelf on my rack and buy a new cover for my outdoor cold house. I still have few amaryllis bulbs that should have been planted last summer and the turmeric and ginger roots that will dry out if they aren't planted soon. And if I want sweet pea flowers and other plants for the upcoming spring sales I really have to get started getting seeds planted. Hopefully by the time the cooler weather crops are getting too big for the house, the weather will break and I can set stuff under cover outside.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Now that is funny, BL! How we utilize every available space in the house for light and heat.

applestar
Mod

ButterflyLady wrote:I even added a new shelf and light above the bathroom door where I have several pots of cuttings and a Venus flytrap growing.
:clap: Yes! -- I was thinking of putting a shelf there for storage, but you have me thinking there's no sense wasting a prime spot like that for supplies.... 8)

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I've got a front loading washer, and the top is covered with plants. The dryer is covered too.

And I have orchids in hanging baskets on the shower curtain rod in the bathroom.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”