jamesjet
Newly Registered

Has anyone grown Strawberries from seeds?

As the title asks... I've been wondering about growing strawberries from seeds... My brother lives in SE Asia and strawberries are very expensive there. Getting a plant out there is a problem... But seeds can be smuggled more easily! ;) From what I can gather though growing them will be extremely hard...

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

I have, but you never know exactly what you will get and I have found that the germination rate isn't very good. Strawberries, except alpine don't come true to variety from seed. The question is also where is the seed coming from and is it viable. The strawberries, generally have to be very ripe for the seed to be any good. I have a problem with the idea of smuggling and a question about growing them in Asia outside a controlled environment. Strawberries are very temperature sensitive as well as day length. There are very few strains of strawberries that might produce for you and they will not come from seed unless you get astronomically lucky. Also, to get enough strawberries you would need about 25 plants and they would take a year or more to establish.

jamesjet
Newly Registered

Hmmm, yes my approach is rather unethical, perhaps. I know they are grown there though, it is just very difficult to do so, hence the large price-tag. Well that seems like a no to the strawberry then... Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Strawberry has to be grown from seed in order to breed them. I would pursue that scheme.

webmaster
Site Admin

It's against our posting guidelines to discuss illegal activities. It is our board's policy to encourage members to never break any laws. Work with the laws of the country, especially with regard to importation of foreign plants. This is an important law to respect. Disastrous consequences nearly always occur when travelers ignore import restrictions.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”