Tigger03
Newly Registered

Transplanting Germinated Seeds from Paper Towel to Soil

I germinated pigweed seeds (in the amaranth family) using the paper towel method for an experiment. They currently have small green leaves; should they be ready to be transplanted to pots? Also, any advice on how to transplant them without causing damage, how to place them in soil, what kind of soil to use etc.? Answering just one of these questions would be appreciated.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

While it makes me cringe that you are purposely seeding a weed that many of us spend an eternity ripping out of our gardens, if you used the paper towel method of germination you frankly should have sown your germinated seeds into pots or your garden at the very moment germinated roots appeared. Thus the answer to your question is to sow into pots or your garden NOW, & do it VERY gently so as not to break off as much growing material (roots & greens) as possible.

As far as "soil" goes, where are you planting them? Regardless, good loose well-organic-material-amended soil would be the way to go, as it frankly would for any garden vegetable.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agreed, when using the paper towel method, you would usually plant them in to soil before they have any leaves, just when there is root showing. At that point, you can just tear off a little piece of the paper towel and plant seed, root, paper towel and all into good potting soil.

If you are growing in containers, you do want potting soil, NOT garden dirt or bagged topsoil. Topsoil is too heavy and compacts in pots. You can use your basic miracle-gro potting soil or if you want to go organic, something like Dr. Earth. But try to avoid the M-G variety marked "moisture control." It tends to stay too wet all the time.

Pigweed is common amaranth. Amaranth has grain like seeds that are gluten free and extremely nutritious.

" It's higher in minerals, such as calcium, iron, phosphorous, and carotenoids, than most vegetables. It has truly remarkable protein content: cup for cup, 28.1 grams of protein compared to the 26.3 grams in oats and 13.1 grams in rice.

Amaranth is a great source of lysine, an important amino acid with protein content comparable to that of milk, more easily digested; neither can be said of other grains. To support this positive aspect of amaranth, it also contains primary proteins called albumin and globulins, which, in comparison with the prolamins in wheat, are more soluble and digestible.

One cup of raw amaranth contains 15 milligrams of iron, while white rice contains only 1.5 milligrams. One cup of raw amaranth also contains 18 milligrams of fiber; in comparison, white rice contains 2.4 grams.

At 105% of the daily value per serving, the manganese in amaranth is off the charts, yet it contains fewer carbohydrates. Amaranth contains more than three times the amount of calcium and it's also high in magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium. Amaranth contains 6 to 10% oil, predominantly unsaturated, or around 77% unsaturated fatty acids, including linoleic acid, required for optimum nutrition. Not least in this list, amaranth is the only grain with documented vitamin C content." https://foodfacts.mercola.com/amaranth.html

But not only the seeds are edible. The leaves, stems, roots and every part of this plant are edible and have been used in many different cuisines for centuries. Cooked amaranth leaves are a good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, and folate; they are also a complementing source of other vitamins such as thiamine, niacin, and riboflavin, plus some dietary minerals including calcium, iron, potassium, zinc, copper, and manganese.

Instead of hating it as a weed, try liking it as a very easy care, drought tolerant vegetable/ grain. :)

applestar
Mod

When roots are entangled into the paper, it's best to tear apart around the seed and roots and plant, paper and all...burying the paper completely so as not to allow moisture to be wicked out and dry out the tender roots.

In my experiments, I found out that paper towel I get (bounty with 1/2 sheet perforations) is too enmeshed to tear easily. I had better results with fast food and take out paper napkins, but even then, some of the napkins only rip in one direction. Printer paper will fall apart into pulp which works well for fast germinating seeds.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

And since yours has leaves already, handle it carefully and be sure the leaves stay above ground. Keep it from drying out (but not soggy) until it starts growing new leaves.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Agreed, when using the paper towel method, you would usually plant them in to soil before they have any leaves, just when there is root showing. At that point, you can just tear off a little piece of the paper towel and plant seed, root, paper towel and all into good potting soil.

If you are growing in containers, you do want potting soil, NOT garden dirt or bagged topsoil. Topsoil is too heavy and compacts in pots. You can use your basic miracle-gro potting soil or if you want to go organic, something like Dr. Earth. But try to avoid the M-G variety marked "moisture control." It tends to stay too wet all the time.

Pigweed is common amaranth. Amaranth has grain like seeds that are gluten free and extremely nutritious.

" It's higher in minerals, such as calcium, iron, phosphorous, and carotenoids, than most vegetables. It has truly remarkable protein content: cup for cup, 28.1 grams of protein compared to the 26.3 grams in oats and 13.1 grams in rice.

Amaranth is a great source of lysine, an important amino acid with protein content comparable to that of milk, more easily digested; neither can be said of other grains. To support this positive aspect of amaranth, it also contains primary proteins called albumin and globulins, which, in comparison with the prolamins in wheat, are more soluble and digestible.

One cup of raw amaranth contains 15 milligrams of iron, while white rice contains only 1.5 milligrams. One cup of raw amaranth also contains 18 milligrams of fiber; in comparison, white rice contains 2.4 grams.

At 105% of the daily value per serving, the manganese in amaranth is off the charts, yet it contains fewer carbohydrates. Amaranth contains more than three times the amount of calcium and it's also high in magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium. Amaranth contains 6 to 10% oil, predominantly unsaturated, or around 77% unsaturated fatty acids, including linoleic acid, required for optimum nutrition. Not least in this list, amaranth is the only grain with documented vitamin C content." https://foodfacts.mercola.com/amaranth.html

But not only the seeds are edible. The leaves, stems, roots and every part of this plant are edible and have been used in many different cuisines for centuries. Cooked amaranth leaves are a good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, and folate; they are also a complementing source of other vitamins such as thiamine, niacin, and riboflavin, plus some dietary minerals including calcium, iron, potassium, zinc, copper, and manganese.

Instead of hating it as a weed, try liking it as a very easy care, drought tolerant vegetable/ grain. :)
To each his own. If I want to grow Amaranth, I'll grow Amaranth. A kinder domesticated version. But as far as the nasty, weedy, thorny "Pigweed", it gets pulled out & tossed into the compost pile or trash.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Marlingardener wrote:GC, as you said, to each his own. I grow dandelions for our bees--a weed to most folks, but to some a source of salad greens and a wine ingredient.
Pigweed may be nasty to you, but not to those who grow it for eating or use in dyes. We shouldn't be judgmental about others' preferences in plants.
Now, now - don't get testy - lol!

I love Dandelions too, & let them grow year-round wherever they want (no "Lawn Nazi" here). And while not to my taste in salads or wine, my mother did make wine from the flowers.

However, as far as common "Pigweed" goes, you can have it. The invasiveness, the thorns, yadayadayada. I'm sorry, but there are far more friendly varieties of Amaranth to enjoy for all the reasons you mention - no need to encourage the gangsters of the group.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”