LilyB
Newly Registered

Starting seeds this way?

Quick question today. If I wanted to start some seeds in either peat pellets, or in cells before putting them in to the garden, can I do that outdoors? Seeds like lettuce in example. Can I put them in cells and leave the cells out in the sun outdoors if the weather is nice and bring them in at night? Or would that not work? My house doesn't really have the right windows to germinate and keep them near a window indoors. I have heard of people using their oven (NOT TURNED ON) to germinate them. If I do that, can I put them in the sun once the seedling is poking out?

New at this helpful suggestions appreciated.

I should mention the weather is starting to warm up around here, high 70s during the day at least and 40s at night. I had the seeds directly sowed into my raised garden but we had 3 days of rain and they rotted I think, nothing came up and we are about to go another 3 days of rain, so I was hoping this would be a way to start my seeds without getting them washed out every single time I directly sow them since I can control where I put my trays.

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

If the outside temperatures are appropriate for the type of seeds and plants you are growing there is no reason why you can't use the natural outdoor environment to grow your plants and if needed, bring them in only at night to keep them in the correct temperature range. Once they are large enough, they can be transplanted into the garden like normal.

I start many seeds outside in pots throughout the growing season and then transplant them into the garden when big enough. Good luck! :)

imafan26
Mod

I am in a frost free zone so I only start my seeds outdoors. Temperature will matter on some plants like tomatoes and peppers, but most of the cool season crops kale, lettuce, broccoli can germinate in colder soil.

If rain is still in the forecast, I would as suggested start the seeds outdoors and just bring them in, only if there is more rain than the seedlings can handle. If they are inside more than a couple of days you may have to harden them off again.

LilyB
Newly Registered

Thank you guys so much for clarifying this, I cannot wait to try this and hopefully will have something to go into my garden in a few days.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

All of the above. Now, where are you? That is critical.
If you are this warm as suggested, may be too warm for lettuce. I use peat pellets, start inside, and with warmer temps move out in shaded and sheltered areas, and some to more sun.

LilyB
Newly Registered

PA

the weather here is all over the place unfortunately. Going to be 70 during the day, 40 at night, it will go back down to 60s.

Just in the last week we have had snow and frost and now all the sudden it's warming up again briefly

imafan26
Mod

Lettuce should still be o.k. in the 70's. Where I live I have to use heat resistant lettuce like the red lettuce and the heat tolerant bibb types. The biggest problem I have is with tip burn as the day length increases so the lettuce will actually mature faster than when it is colder and need to be picked before it starts heading up. The other perennial problem with lettuce are slugs and thrips.

applestar
Mod

I also think starting outside is do-able. But NOT IN THE SUN as you described in th OP. It would be too easy for the peat pellets or any shallow containers of soil mix to dry out. Best location would be dappled shade of a tree -- set up a table or something raised up off the ground to put them on. My second choice would be a few hours morning sun, but that could be too hot in the sun then too much solid shade -- when in 70's thermometer in the sun will register up to 100+°F

Another choice might be under a tent/canopy/pavilion type structure.

LilyB
Newly Registered

Thank you Imafan and applestar
all I can do at this point is try. We didn't really have a normal spring it seems it went from being freezing to really warm and I hope we will have some 60s for a while.

The weird part is that my local nursery has been advising people from buying plants now and putting them in the ground because everything is still cold and frozen here. They sell ice berg lettuce

So I have a shaded front porch that faces the morning light. Will that work? I know I experimented with that last year I think they did come up it was basil seeds but a bit slow and I don't remember if they ever turned leggy or why I was never able to plant them in the garden. They might have gotten tipped over
Last edited by LilyB on Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

Lettuce should be fine. Basil prefers warmer temps -- that might have been part of the problem?

...in fact I would put even the lettuce outside AFTER they sprout. It takes much longer to sprout outside because of the colder night time temp.

LilyB
Newly Registered

Thanks apple I will try. I am home all day so it would be easy to make sure they aren't drying out. It just means going to check on them often. I think I will try several trays and see which one come up. Separate my basil from my lettuce. Have one put in the oven till it sprouts and one outside and hope something comes up. Bring in sensitive plants inside during nights and hope it works? It doesn't sound like I need to bring the lettuce inside if it drops to 50s or 40s At night.

applestar
Mod

Basil should sprout fine if you have a table by a sunny window. Barely cover the seeds, Lay a food wrap like Saran or Glad loosely over the surface of soil and remove when they start to sprout.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Let me try to clarify a bit! I do the seed start in peat pellets, 10-12 per tray. This is a 12 month operation, already into the 100's and counting. Even if warm out, like to start inside under closer control. Then once plant pops up, can go out, weather permitting in sheltered spot. There is extra shuffling if it looks like rain or chilly nights!

I suggested late for lettuce as temps great now, in 8 weeks when ready for picking, will be too warm. Your basil needs extra care, and I don't like the babies out below 50. Once up and going can do low 40's. I finally got around to seeding for another round of basil. Green, Thai, Holy and purple. They are inside by window, dome set tilted on the pellet tray. Once they show, top comes off.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”