imafan26
Mod

Re: Too late to start herbs by this weekend?

Most of the times the trades are around. It is what makes 80 plus degree weather beareable. I do water everyday and that is part of my problem. I have been using a dry mix over the years with pots that breathe and dry quickly. I am trying to use less water because the water bill (sewer charges) are astronomical. The problem is if I use my fast draining mix and breathable pots, most of them cannot go more than a couple of days without water. If I use plastic pots with fewer holes and a heavier mix, I have a lot of plants that will rot. I am still experimenting with the plastic pots and media and especially the plants that are sensitive to being too wet, it is still a problem.

It is actually harder for me not to water everyday since, sometimes I will wait too long and the plants will show signs of wilting and that makes them weaker and more subject to attack from pests and disease.

The reason for having a fast drying mix to start with is that while the heavier mixes get plants through the summer, when the rain comes they will drown.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

That makes sense with the rain, we don't get downpours usually of any great amounts at once. Pretty spoiled actually, it rains a couple times a week usually in May and June, so I usually don't have to water anything during that time.

imafan26
Mod

Instead of the usual 4 seasons we have basically a rainy season and a dry season. Right now it is our Spring. I can tell because the Gold trees are blooming.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Can you set up a rainwater catchment? If you could save enough water up from the rainy season to help in the dry season, it would solve a lot of your issues, and not increase the water bill.
I have seen large underground holding tanks with pumps for when you need the water.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”