fourfortytwo

Sow vs. Transplant. Cauliflower tricky? Rosemary from seed?

First post ever, hello, I saw a lot of insight combing over this site and thought I'd throw out a few questions.
I'm trying a wide variety of vegetables, herbs, and flowers.
A few questions (my garden setup is in my signature):
1. I'm trying the veronica romanesco cauliflower for its unique appearance, I read a lot of their intolerance to heat. Given my climate, should I try to sow in the summer for a fall crop, or put out transplants right on june 1st, this would mean at a estimated 78 days to maturity they'd be fruiting in the heat of august, (hence the shade cloth, which I've never used before due to its cost but bought just enough for two of the beds). Opinions?
2. Rosemary. Purchased "primed" seeds from Johnnys selected seeds, which say to start them 12 weeks (!) before transplant/last frost. Any tips on why germinating rosemary seeds is difficult, or how to help them along?
3. Definitely starting pepper, tomato, muskmelon (cantaloupe), squash, cucumbers, eggplants, and a few flower varieties indoors, however. Two I can't decide on . I'm doing a 105 day "nautic" brussel sprouts, 55 day "Chioggia" beets, of these two I cannot decide whether to direct seed for fall, or try to get them in early from transplant. Will take quality/yield over being first-to-market. Prehaps I could do both, but my seed-starting area is limited.

Thanks in advance for replies, My ambition outweighs my experience but I'd like go full-on homesteading and farming for profit, so maybe some experienced minds could help out. Thanks again.

NJ Bob
Cool Member

I didn't have any problem germinating rosemary but it is extremely slow-growing.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Welcome.

We are fairly close in zone so here is what I do: cauliflower always gets started indoors for the first crop and then transplanted into the garden as early as possible. Fall crops I direct sow seeds to harvest before the first frost. Shade cloth keeps the heads the color they should be.

Rosemary is slow to germinate and if you can put extra heat on them during the seedling process that will help.

Indoors I start tomatoes, peppers, some flowers (check the seed packet for recommendations). I don't eat brussels sprouts, but I would start then inside, too. Muskmelon, watermelons, cucumbers and beets I direct sow when the soil temps are right. I have started those all inside but the direct seeded plants seem to catch up and even do better than the transplants.

Try lots of methods and see what works best for you and your area. You might list your location as well as your zone for some ideas of those close to you.

I see on another post you are from Maine which is a long way from Nebraska, so what I do probably will have little to do with your situation.

imafan26
Mod

I grow rosemary from cuttings, it is a lot faster. All you really need is one plant, it can live 20 years or more if given the right conditions.

I have grown rosemary from seeds, they are extremely slow to grow. Mine did take a bit longer to germinate.

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

We only plant for our own consumption so the number of plants is smaller than what you intend to eventually be doing but we've always started cauliflower inside for both a "spring" and "fall" crop. I had read somewhere that it works better to always use "starts" rather than planting seed. Of course, we have heavy clay soil and that has an impact on direct seeding sometimes. Normally we just tie the leaves over the head of the cauliflower to keep its color or you can use shade cloth as PaulF suggests. We use starts for all cool weather crops like cauliflower and broccoli.

Starting brussel sprouts inside is best because of their long grow to maturity but keep in mind they like a firm soil base and don't always like transplanting so handle the transplant with care. They also don't like the heat at all so during the hot summer you'll need to provide enough shade and air circulation to keep them from bolting.

Good luck! :)

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Given your climate, would question rosemary. It is so slow, and starting from seed now won't give you much. They don't like being inside all winter, which leaves few options. I tried starting from seed last summer, to have starts to put out this season. Here they can be out (mini-greenhouse with some protection) for all but a few days here and there. I need to re-work the plans as only a few are market ready.

If you are selling at a farmers market is hit and miss the 1st year, and every year after that.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Susan W wrote:Given your climate, would question rosemary. It is so slow, and starting from seed now won't give you much. They don't like being inside all winter, which leaves few options. I tried starting from seed last summer, to have starts to put out this season. Here they can be out (mini-greenhouse with some protection) for all but a few days here and there. I need to re-work the plans as only a few are market ready.

If you are selling at a farmers market is hit and miss the 1st year, and every year after that.
Oh, I planted my rosemary a week a go and it is sprouting. First year planting it from seed, didn't realize it was that slow. I usually got a couple starts at the greenhouse but I am greedy and of course wanted more with less expense. I guess I will see how it does, my zone is even cooler.

Well I need to start journaling this stuff, I have random notes at the moment and by next year it will be a foreign language.

fourfortytwo

thank you for all the input. I would like to start using soil blocks to ease transplant shock, I've noticed peat cells not disappearing as soon as I'd like. I'm still going to give a go at the rosemary, started very early indoors, with plenty of protection, (maybe grow them with something). I've found sage gets tall quick on a hot spring and interplanted with cauliflower gives them (some) shade. maybe with shade cloth as well its possible, I suppose the only answer is to try both. I'm also eager to try the very large (50" wide, 12" deep) "smart pots" aka big bed or some such thing, it seems like they would forgive the temperature fluctuations for flowers and herbs that need delicate germination.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”