Jai_Ganesha

oddly-shaped Zinnia elegans cotyledons

Here is a pic of two Zinnia elegans seedlings I'm currently growing under lights, in anticipation of dirtplanting next month.

The one on the left has oddly-shaped cotyledons. Is this normal, a variant, or a disease? I've either never seen it before, or I've never paid close enough attention...

I have to cut one or the other (both won't grow in this jiffy pot) so I'm curious...

They're both indoors on a heat mat at a constant 80º with even moisture.

Mr green
Green Thumb

In general you shouldnt pay to much attention to the cotyledons leaves, (is that what you call them in english?) the true leaves is what you wanna look at. I had 4 cotyledons leaves come out at once instead of two for example.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm not convinced I agree. It is true that plants occasionally produce 3 or 4 cotyledons instead of two. But even in those cases the shape of the seed leaves, although different than the shape of the true leaves, is quite characteristic of the plant. The one on the right in the photo looks like a zinnia; the other does not. I would get rid of it. It is possible that it is some other plant. Occasionally different seeds sneak into a packet one way or another.

Mr green
Green Thumb

They look very similar to me, the thing is the leaves looks bent on the left one. I might be wrong but I would sure wait for the true leaves to show to be sure for science then you may pull it ;)
Heres a tomato thats holding on to its seed shell, this may cause the cotyledons to come out in various shapes. Obviously not the exact thing that happend too op plants but could be something similar. Only way to really know is to wait for the true leaves. In my opinion the cotyledons of the op's plants doesnt look all that different to me.
Heres a tomato thats holding on to its seed shell, this may cause the cotyledons to come out in various shapes. Obviously not the exact thing that happend too op plants but could be something similar. Only way to really know is to wait for the true leaves. In my opinion the cotyledons of the op's plants doesnt look all that different to me.
Another thing to consider is genetics, use humans for reference if you like.

Jai_Ganesha

Thanks, y'all. I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to keep the "weird" one and see what (if anything) comes of it.

catgrass
Green Thumb

I plant lots of zinnias and have for years. they both look like zinnia seedlings to me. Sometimes they are odd shaped, all seedlings will not always be identical. patience.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”