Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

No garden soil in my seed starting mix this year!

Because of the early and late tomato blight last year I am using bought soil mixes. I am using American potting soil mixed with composted cow manure for all my seeds starting mixes. I strain the top 1/2 inch then strain the mix to cover the seeds. The mix looks good and at $1.99 a bag at Rural King you can't beat it! Just got my seeds in this past two weeks since my solar greenhouse is warmer now!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

imafan26
Mod

Re: No garden soil in my seed starting mix this year!

That is a great buy. I can't get much of anything for $1.99 anymore. the cheapest potting mix is $5.99 for 3/4 cu ft, and it initially worked ok until it compacted, then it did not drain well after that.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Miracle Gro potting mix on sale here for $9 for a 2 cu. ft. bag. That and brands like MG are what I have successfully used for the last 15 years with very good results. No special mixes for me when thing do well using it right out of the bag.
Paul F

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I did not care for the miracle grow too much junk in it like big chunks. American all purpose top soil is really nice for $1.99 at Rural King 40 pound bag. Its even moist. I also do not like to much dry peat moss in most of the those mixes that are over priced.
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!