pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Starting my eggplant seeds, a few using the spoon in zip-loc

I soaked my seeds 24 hrs in a KNO3 solution, as I do for my pepper seeds, and today I started them, doing 4 types (the ones I had the most seeds for) using the spoon in zip-loc method. I am also starting some of those in the normal starting medium, and I'll see if the spoon method speeds things up or not. I set the spoons on one side of the covered tray, to keep them warm, since I didn't use the entire tray for pots, so they should stay as warm as the soil.

Here are the varieties, with the first three being my usual favorites, the other 8 being new varieties for this year (Petch Siam may be another I have grown in the past - Kermit - with a different name). * indicates the varieties in the spoons.
OLD:
Hari*
Ichiban
Neon

NEW:
Canna
Listada di Sandia*
Lunga Nera di Chiocci
Negra Lisa
Petch Siam
Pusa Indian Purple round
Round Greek Black*
Viserba*

Obviously, I am going to be overrun with eggplant this season, assuming the new ones do very much! LOL

803New2Gardening
Newly Registered

What's kno3

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

KNO3 is potassium nitrate, which is often used to soak pepper seeds to speed up the germination. I also use it with my eggplant and tomato seeds, 1/4 tsp/cup of water.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I have sprouts! In just under 36 hours the Listada di Gandia (mis-spelled in the original post) has 4 of 6 seeds sprouted. Now I'll find out if this speeds things up, since they still have to go in the pot and come up. I'll also leave some to form leaves, and transplant those sprouts, as others have done, and see if either seems better.

applestar
Mod

Fantastic! Keep us posted! 8)

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I think I had 100% germination of the listada, in the soil and the spoon! The hari is the next one I see with several sprouts; only one viserba.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”