Peter1142
Green Thumb

2015 Seed Starting!

(Zone 6b SE NY.)

Things coming along, I've got Green Magic Broccoli and Quick Start Cabbage potted up today from 1x1 peat pot trays (I hate these things, the only reason I used them again this year as I had some left over from last year, and only using them as the germination pot.) The ones in the picture are the Broccoli, but the Cabbage look more or less identical. I potted them up a little early so the roots didn't get too mangled into the sides of the peat pot.

The mix is Miracle Gro Organic Potting Mix with Moisture Conserve... seems ok, the best thing I could find.

A few 1 month old artichoke seedlings going... these guys are mainly an experiment, I don't really have high hopes for getting artichokes. It was fun to start something in February too...

The littles ones in front are eggplants, Hansel and Galine, I sowed 1 week ago. I kept them on a shelf above a radiator, and it worked well.

The Ace and Biscayne Peppers I sowed at the same time as the eggplants have 1 sprout that came up this morning. Otherwise they still haven't sprouted yet. I sowed the tomatoes yesterday: lower acid varieties: Jet Star, Sun Gold, Golden Rave, Sweet Tangerine (Determinate).

I got my Lancelot Leeks and Long Day Sampler from Dixondale a week early. I can't really transplant until next weekend, it will be too cold the next few nights. They say they will be fine in a cool dry place.

Everything else gets direct sowed. Spring crops of Beets, Carrots, Snap Peas, and Lettuce. I might sow the beets, peas, and carrots next weekend also if the weather looks good.

EDIT: Sorry, feel free to merge this with the main thread.
Attachments
potted-up.jpg

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”