bigelow965
Newly Registered

Need help germinating some old bulbs w/ pic

I've got these 3 old bulbs that have been sitting in dry soil for around 7 years now and I need some good advice on how to get them to germinate. Although the effort may be in vein they once belonged to a late relative so I'm gonna do what I can.
bulbs 3 shot.JPG
I've heard some bulbs need to experience a cold period before they'll take off again so about a week ago I moved them into the garage where they've been between 15 and 35F. Again I know it's probably hopeless but what should I do from here on out to give these guys the best chance of sprouting?

If it's not already apparent I'm a complete novice at this and can use any advice you could offer.

Thanks, I'm all ears.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I would quarter each bulb. Make sure each piece has some of the basil plate (the root plate). Get your hands on 3/4 to 1 gallon nursery pots. Fill with all purpose potting soil. Without fertilizer. Plant your bulb sections - 1 per pot - leaving 1/3 to 1/2 of the bulb above soil level. Keep the soil just barely moist. Wet soil will rot the bulbs. You do need warm temperatures. Wait until there is no chance of frost or freeze. Put your pots outside in a warm, sunny place. Watch them grow. Do not expect blooms for 2 or 3 years. The bulbs have to get established before they can produce blooms.

Next spring plant in your garden or plant up to a larger pot. 8-8-8 fertilizer is good in the spring. Once each month add 1 tbsp. Epsom Salt to 1 gallon of water and water your bulbs.

Have fun!

applestar
Mod

@elizabethB what is the purpose of cutting the bulbs into quarters? Will this reveal if the bulbs are still alive? Does it allow moisture to reach the center?

Is there a special technique to cutting them? I could picture them being extraordinarily dried and hard on the outside while perhaps still delicate on the inside, resulting in mashing the viable portions from pressing on it with a knife that might not cut through.... A saw then? A serrated knife?

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Cutting the bulbs is just a form of division. If the bulbs are extremely dry then just plant them leaving the top portion above the soil level.

:)

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”