lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Fluffy Seeds

I saved several seed from my Lush Queen, Indigo Apple, Amos Coli and Brandywine tomatoes. I have saved Brandywine over the years and had good luck with them. I go thru the fermenting stage with glass jar, water, paper towel rubberbanded on top for a few days. Then rinse separate and dry in a paper plate, then put seed in white envelop and in the frig.

My seed this year is not clean and crisp, but instead has some "fluffy wings". I looked at my Brandywine from years back, that always germinates very well, and it has a bit of a look like this years, but not as much.

Do you think I messed up the process somehow? I have some seed from each in starter flats, so if I get germination then no harm I guess, but just wondering if this is normal for an amateur seed starter?

Sorry I am not at home or I would get a picture.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Sometimes the seeds come out that way. I have had the same thing happen every once in a while with no loss in germination. To be sure, put a few seeds in a damp paper towel or paper dinner napkin and leave on a warm sunny spot. In a few days you will know if they are viable. Or just plant them and you will soon know. To answer the question: normal.

applestar
Mod

Can't be entirely sure without looking at them, but fermented seeds that were processed correctly end up with the seed fuzz that are very clingy -- "fluffy"?

They cling to each other, and catch on fingerprint ridges and roughened fingertip skin.

People who use "Ajax" or "Oxyclean" or chlorine bleach method won't see this because the seeds lose their fuzz due to the chemical processing.

Brandywine also have the typical beefsteak seeds that are larger -- um, maybe kidney? -- shaped, and sometimes with pronounced flat rim along the perimenter.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”