Gilcano

Seed starting equipment??

OK I'm excited about starting seeds indoors (never did it before just bought plants). Just ordered some inexpensive seed trays and I'm planning to use egg cartons also

Heat Mat

Grow Light

Grow Box

:cool: :cool: :cool:

NJ Bob
Cool Member

Lookin' good! What are you growing this year?

Gilcano

NJ Bob wrote:Lookin' good! What are you growing this year?
I would like to have the following

Jamaican Hot Chocolate Pepper
Trinidad Scorpion Pepper
Couple of sweet peppers, red, yellow, etc.
Cucumbers
Zucchini
Swiss Chard
White Onion
Spinach
Parsley
Basil
Beefsteak tomato
Roma tomato
Cherry tomato
Variety of Lettuces

Just for our own consumption

imafan26
Mod

Unless you can get that all on a 1020 tray they may have to take turns, but looking good. I actually start my seedlings in 4 inch square community pots then transplant out to individual pots after they have grown true leaves. It saves me space in the beginning, but I have to move plants out quickly to the wilderness soon afterwards because there is not enough bench space for all the seedlings to hang around more than couple of weeks.

Gilcano

imafan26 wrote:Unless you can get that all on a 1020 tray they may have to take turns, but looking good. I actually start my seedlings in 4 inch square community pots then transplant out to individual pots after they have grown true leaves. It saves me space in the beginning, but I have to move plants out quickly to the wilderness soon afterwards because there is not enough bench space for all the seedlings to hang around more than couple of weeks.
I'm thinking to order another heat mat and set up an additional bin. I'm collecting egg cartons also. I can make "newspaper seedling pots", a lot of them but I'm not planting 20 of each variety. I don't need 20 tomato plants or 20 peppers or 20 cucumbers, just a couple 2 or 3 plants. The lettuces are going to be planted in a garden tower that takes about 42 plants.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Please do check out the seed starting basics thread here: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 48&t=44183

I'm not quite understanding (a picture may be worth a 1000 words, but sometimes some words help too! :) ) Is the light source the little green fixture on the wall? What is making everything so pink?

Re: Jamaican Hot Chocolate Pepper
Trinidad Scorpion Pepper
Couple of sweet peppers, red, yellow, etc.
Cucumbers
Zucchini
Swiss Chard
White Onion
Spinach
Parsley
Basil
Beefsteak tomato
Roma tomato
Cherry tomato
Variety of Lettuces

As noted that's an awful lot of stuff, will take more room than you have for seed starting and in your container. Its also a very mixed bag of cool and warm season stuff.

Lettuce, chard, spinach are usually just direct seeded in the ground as soon as the ground can be worked or about a month earlier than your last frost date. They are very cold hardy and frost tolerant and the lettuce and spinach will bolt and be done as soon as the weather gets really warm (like 75 or 80 deg F). Chard is my favorite thing to grow and will keep going all season until well past first frost. In milder winters it will over winter.

Onion is very slow from seed. I would usually plant it in October and harvest the following July or so. Onion sets will do much better for producing onions this season.

Parsley takes a week or two to germinate and then is slow growing and it is pretty cold hardy. I plant parsley seeds indoors in mid-Jan.

Peppers like warm, even more than tomatoes, but they are also slower to germinate, grow, fruit than tomatoes. And in my experience, hot peppers are even slower at all of that than sweet bell peppers. So I start the hot pepper seeds about 10 weeks ahead of average last frost date. Bell peppers 8-9 weeks ahead. Green basil 8 weeks ahead. Tomatoes 6-7 weeks ahead (some people would do earlier, but for me they tend to get too big too early if started much earlier).

The cucurbits--squash, cucumber, etc--are the warmest of warm season crops. Since they are very quick growing they don't really need to be started indoors, can just be direct seeded where they will grow. And they get very big. I do start squash indoors, but no more than about a week ahead of average last frost date, sometimes ON the ALF date.

Good luck! Happy growing!

Gilcano

rainbowgardener wrote: Is the light source the little green fixture on the wall? What is making everything so pink?
Yes the light fixture that is hanging (not on the wall) is a grow light https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... 1659/3996/ Not the same fixture, I bought just a bulb.

rainbowgardener wrote: As noted that's an awful lot of stuff, will take more room than you have for seed starting and in your container. Its also a very mixed bag of cool and warm season stuff.!
I don't think is that many, will do it in sections, first will seed the lettuce, chard and spinach. second will do the tomatoes, and last the peppers and cucumbers. Parsley can be in between

imafan26
Mod

If only a few then you can start more than one thing in a tray. Once some plants have germinated, and they have a good start they do not need to stay on the heat mat, but will need a transitional space under lights until they can be hardened off outside.

I kinda do the opposite from your plan. The slower stuff is what I germinate first because they need cooler weather. So I would do parsley first. It takes a long time to germinate and stays small a long time, but will stand cooler weather. Cucumber, lettuce, spinach, chard, and tomato germinate within a week and are ready to transplant out within three weeks so, I would start them closer to their planting outside date. You never want to check the growth of vegetables, they don't really catch up very well.

Peppers like the heat and need the heat mat the most to get started. They are slow in the beginning and like it warm before going out. Most of them are prolific so you don't need many of each kind.

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Please do check out the seed starting basics thread here: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 48&t=44183

Peppers like warm, even more than tomatoes, but they are also slower to germinate, grow, fruit than tomatoes. And in my experience, hot peppers are even slower at all of that than sweet bell peppers. So I start the hot pepper seeds about 10 weeks ahead of average last frost date. Bell peppers 8-9 weeks ahead. Green basil 8 weeks ahead. Tomatoes 6-7 weeks ahead (some people would do earlier, but for me they tend to get too big too early if started much earlier).

Good luck! Happy growing!
Bell peppers are pretty hardy in my zone, had a couple peppers last year by June after planting in May.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”