rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re: 2015 seed starting thread!

Read back through last year's seed starting thread. https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... d&start=48 I'm very good about writing stuff down this time of year, because I'm not doing outdoor gardening. Once that starts, I have trouble paying attention to recording things.

I need to start making some notes about results in terms of what was started too early and what could have been started earlier. It's hard to refine my start dates without that. But of course last year it stayed cold so long, that wasn't typical any way.

And deliberately or not, I have slowed down a bit this year. I posted this picture 2/15 last year

That was my California Wonder bell peppers. I haven't even planted them yet this year. They will definitely not be looking like that on 2/15. With the winter we had last year, the peppers did suffer from being ready too soon. But with me being a bit slower and a much milder winter, I may wish I had started sooner this year.... It's always a bit of a guessing game! :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Even when I'm trying hard, I'm so bad at record keeping! Managed not to write it down on my spreadsheet or here when I planted caraway seed. I think it was right about 2/1. Planted salvia St. John's fire yesterday.

Planted the purple ruffles basil 2/2 and it has sprouted already! And calendula planted the same day but not on the heat mat has also sprouted. Spinach and impatiens have sprouted, but both with low germination rates. I didn't soak the spinach seed, so I may go back and soak some and plant more. Celery just showed itself today on the 10th day, no heat. And it looks like millions of teeny tiny celery babies. Every single one of those must have sprouted!* Broccoli and cabbage have first true leaves opened up. As soon as I get time I will start moving them to one per cell off the heat, so I can plant more things on the mat.

So most things are going well so far. Only one I'm worried about is ageratum. It was one of the first things planted on 1/24 and has yet to show itself. It should have by now. Those were seeds I collected from my plants last year, so maybe something didn't work in there. A few other things like the lavender haven't sprouted yet, but none that are past the expected days to germination.

*For some reason most people I talk to seem to think that celery is hard to grow. In my experience it is remarkably easy, not only easy to sprout and grow indoors, but very easy and low maintenance in the garden and very productive. I just keep picking celery stalks all season. My only complaint is that my celery produces very skinny little stalks, not like the grocery store ones.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I just post pics in various forums like a blog so I have something to refer to and maybe help someone. The only thing about celery is trying for individual plants. It's hard to separate. It is stong flavored and skinny like you mentioned. I really haven't noticed much difference between individual plants and those grown in clumps. Great to cut up for freezer to add to soups and sauces. My girl still needs her store bought for peanut butter filled. It's cheap and I can bend a little.

Nearly all my spinach, chard and lettuce has come up with one seed per cell in the DE. If a cell doesn't sprout I put in another seed and get a staggered crop.

Kohlrabi and Tomatoes. The 2 -9 cells on the right are Pepperoncini germinating on the edge of heat mat which gives a little heat to the toms.

Baby pak choi and Mulichi cabbage

China Giant and CA wonder peppers on heat mat. My nemesis...but better than previous years. The peppers are the only starts I used the heat mat for. Everything else was germinated in the house around 68.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Oh...and Walla onions. Much faster and better germination than previous years in soiless mixes.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

OK a few more pics of how it is looking now...

top is my little broccoli babies all freshly moved to one per cell off the heat mats. That's 36 of them, half of a 72 cell tray insert. Middle is the cabbage seedlings awaiting that treatment. They will be the other half of the tray. I have culled a few of those along the way, ones that were late sprouting or got out competed in the crowded cells. Culled a few more now to get it down to 36. Given that it is only a few, it is useful to have a few extra, so that you are only planting the strongest, healthiest ones.
Attachments
IMG_0051.JPG
IMG_0051.JPG (56.93 KiB) Viewed 2740 times
IMG_0050.JPG
IMG_0050.JPG (44.35 KiB) Viewed 2740 times
IMG_0045.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG (32.14 KiB) Viewed 2740 times

applestar
Mod

Here are my Solstice and Limba broccoli, Late Flat Dutch and Early Jersey Wakefield cabbages, and Tatsoi and Red Pakchoi, along with Viroflay, Gigante Inverno, and Bloomsdale Longstanding spinach. You can see some of the Walla Walla onions too.
image.jpg
I'm really excited about these Purple Coneflowers as well since this is my first time growing them from seeds:
image.jpg
image.jpg (27.93 KiB) Viewed 2739 times

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

@Rairdog, what are you using to start your seeds in? It looks very chunky. I looked in the potting soil thread but didn't see a post from you so I figured to ask you here.

Thanks!

Rairdog
Green Thumb

skiingjeff wrote:@Rairdog, what are you using to start your seeds in? It looks very chunky. I looked in the potting soil thread but didn't see a post from you so I figured to ask you here.

Thanks!

I'm using DE. I got a 25# bag from Fasenal for 15 bucks. It has filled 4- 72 cell 1020 trays and there is enough left to fill 4 or 5 more. Here is some info in my seed starting chamber thread.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 4&start=12

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Thanks, I'll check out the thread! :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

pix update:

IMG_0056.JPG
IMG_0056.JPG (21.75 KiB) Viewed 2706 times
IMG_0054.JPG
IMG_0054.JPG (45.83 KiB) Viewed 2706 times
IMG_0053.JPG
the broccoli babies 5 days later and showing the set up with 5 trays under the lights now. In the picture with all the trays, you can see at the front of one, my mistake with the teeny celery seeds. That's after I pulled and composted several clumps equalling more than 100 tiny seedlings! Oh oops! seeds like dust...

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

The new setup! Supah Stoked!

I think I need at least 1 more set of lights.
Attachments
image.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's a little hard to tell from the pix, but I have two shop light fixtures (=4 fluorescent tubes) running crossways across four 1020 trays. It's actually barely enough-- when the fixtures are down close to the plants, the plants at the front and back edges tend to lean in towards the light, so I have to keep rotating the little blocks of cells.

applestar
Mod

Another update on some of the started seeds :()

I posted update photos of Alpine strawberries and Cranberries in their respective threads, but I can't resist mentioning them here... :wink:

Also here are some others that are newly sprouted or recently uppotted:

Here's my log -- couldn't fit all of it but you get the idea :-()

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

WOOHOO!
Attachments
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

Nice!

Now get them closer to the light -- lower the lights or put risers under the container.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

The light is about 1-2 inches above. Closer? They are T8's.

applestar
Mod

No, thats about as close as you want for T-8, but the seedlings looked pale -- I guess they _had_ been somewhere else then?

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Burrrr....my babies are chilled and the forecast is not what they need. Just a few shots to brighten the winter doldrums.

I put this rosemary behind the tv with indirect light to overwinter. I guess it likes the warm dry air and neglected because it took off.

I thought this begonia was done for. 2 of the 3 plants died off. Next thing ya know (ole Jed's a millionaire) it started flowering. I cut off a couple stems and stuck them in the pot and they are growing.

My aloe also liked being neglected and overwintered.

The babies... the peppers are on a heat mat. Everything else has been exposed to mid 50's to mid 70's.

The toms are an amazing shade of purple...wait that's not good. Or...maybe I made them tough when they venture out on their own.

Walla's begging for light.

Lettuce and spinach. They like this crappy weather.

Kohlrabi and pak choi....they are leggy but refuse to fold.

I think the babies take me for granted. IDK if they appreciate what I do for them. Step outside the GH and get a taste of this.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

They germinated VEEEEEERY quickly. Like 2 days!!! I didn't realize they'd germinate that quickly so, today is their first day with lights.

How long should the lights be on? I have them on a timer now for 12 hours.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm still always learning or re-learning! So lessons from this year: Soak those seeds. Most anything probably benefits from being soaked at least a few hours. Since I bought a lot of stuff in bulk, I now have a bunch of seeds from 2012/ 2013. And I have to confess they haven't been stored perfectly all that time, spent a number of months just sitting around at room temp. So when I tried planting them straight from the envelope, I got very disappointing results for some, like peppers. So I started over soaking them for about 8 hrs or over night. Yay!! Much better results the second time.

Don't try transplanting too soon. As noted I managed to I don't know spill celery seed or something. Anyway I got literally thousands of little celery seedlings. I was really worried about them just choking each other out. So I started transplanting some out to two per cell, almost as soon as they were sprouted. But since that was a long process, I had one block of cells that was left untouched for more than a week longer. Even though they were so much more crowded, a lot of the untouched ones were significantly ahead in development compared to the early transplanted ones, with true leaves sooner, better root systems, etc.

Leave warm weather crops on the heat mat longer. I started purple basil, but again was worried some about crowding (though way less than the celery!!) and needed space on the heat mat. So I moved them to one per cell off heat mat when they just had tiny bud of true leaf showing. In this case I don't have a control group, but I know from previous years' experiences that since then they aren't doing real well, very slow progress. I think they would really have benefitted from staying on the heat until they had the second set of true leaves.

In the meantime, the past week I have planted petunias, bell pepper, chamomile, and yesterday green basil. most everything except yesterday's basil has sprouted.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I would imagine soaking them would make them a little more manageable to handle. It was tedious work picking up 2 tiny seeds and putting them in each cell with tweezers. Several shot across the room! I had a few just explode too...I guess from being so dry. All of my seed have been in the pantry since fall. They came up quick though!

applestar
Mod

Almost all available nook and cranny have been used up and we're reaching that point of critical mass when a thorough re-org is the only way to add more growing seedlings under the lights.....

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Looking good applestar!

Lindsay - 16 hrs would be better for the lights to be on. The light we can provide is so much less intense than sunlight that we need
to make up for it.

I've been itching to start tomatoes, but knowing that it is still a bit too early, especially if spring comes later this year.
But I looked at the tomato varieties I have on hand (11) and realized that they have a days to maturity range
from Stupice Ultra Early (55-60 days) to Virginia Sweets (90 days). So I figured it would be ok to give the Va Sweets
a little more head start. They are soaking now.

A lot of these are left overs from previous year's tomato giveaway or things people here have sent me
(thanks, everyone!) that I only have a few seeds of. But I thought especially since some are from 2012,
I might as well use them all up, see what sprouts.

My list: Red Boar saladette, Chianti Rose beefsteak, Rebel Yell beefsteak, Amos Coli paste, New Hampshire
sure crop medium size, high acid, Stupice Ultra Early saladette, Better Boy beefsteak, Virginia Sweets
yellow-red beefsteak, AAA Sweet Solano bicolor saladette, Coyote yellow cherry, Zuckertraube
cherry/grape.

You can see how you all have influenced me ! :) When I came here I grew Early Girl and Big Boy only - round red
hybrid tomatoes. The only reason for two varieties was to have some earlier ripening to have ripe tomatoes in
June. Gradually people here have been pulling me into the world of heirloom tomatoes. I was really afraid of it
at first, because the hybrids have all that disease resistance bred in. I thought I would have a terrible problem with diseases with heirlooms, but that has not turned out to be true. The heirlooms have had no more diseases than the hybrids, maybe less.

If the tomato giveaway happens this year, I would love to see Berkeley tie die. I got those from a previous year's giveaway and they were terrific! My customers still ask about them! :)

applestar
Mod

I couldn't stand it anymore so I planted some Baloon Ice Globes outside this morning :D
image.jpg
...6 hours later, they grew offshoots/pups! :() :>

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Speaking of ice. I set all my cool weather crops out in the GH yesterday and forgot them. I lost all my spinach, kolrabi, pak choi, celery, lettuce and onions. They were looking so good in the DE. Hopefully some will recover but they spent the night at 8 deg. I brought them inside to get them out of direct light. The peppers and a few toms I started early were in the chamber and are fine so not all is lost.

applestar
Mod

Oh no! That sounds a bit tough especially if they weren't hardened. How long did the super low temp last? How low temp were they accustomed to? They do need to be gradually exposed.

I hope they come back for you.

My V8 Nursery Plants in the garage are good to 23-24°F so far. I left a newly hardened one (a pint size community) out there and the Late Flat Dutch cabbage were looking a bit limp this morning while everybody else were standing tall and looking fine.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

New game : Pick your survivor!

Contestant #1 Spinach
He is a favorite among the crowd. Known for his cool weather temper but folds under heat.

Contestant #2 Bok choi/Muchili
She is and Asian favorite with a long tradition.

Contestant # 3 Walla Walla
He fight best in his own zone.

Contestant #4 Lettuce
The mutt of the group. She likes her feet wet and can survive with minimal vitamins.

Contestant #5 Kohlrabi
A German favorite. He does great starting off cold or finishing cold. Don't expect him to produce if he don't get him some cold!

Attention: We have more possible survivors. A lawyer for the parents of the minors also suspected to be involved has just released a statement.

Contestant #6 Chard
A powerhouse known for generating good from the worst conditions

Contestant #7 Celery
He is a slow but steady finisher just coming into the game.

All subjects were exposed to a night on the town. Unfortunately they missed the last ferry home and spent the night in a plastic shed where temps dropped to 8f. It was the ferry driver's fault....yeah right. Limited quantities available void where prohibited.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Keep us posted whether any of them pull through or not. ONCE HARDENED things like spinach can be incredibly tough handling snow/ice/cold, but not when they've just come from inside.

I've done the same thing myself a little later in the season. I'm not putting anything outside in what we have right now. But last year, I had a whole tray of beautiful marigold plants already blooming plus a few other things, that didn't get brought back in, in time when the frost came back and were dead.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I pulled all the frozen plants and started over today. Baby choi, Mulchili, Kohlrabi, kale, chard, spinach, celery and 3 kinds of lettuce. While I was at it I went ahead and started some wild seeds that have been stratified in the basement to near 30f. Butterfly weed, Button bush and Monarda. I also started some seeds from the garden I collected along with purchased seed. Robinson red mums, Oriental poppy, Viola, Powder puff aster, Hosta and soaked some Lantana seeds.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So I'm planting a couple new varieties of tomatoes every couple days. Here's what it is looking like now:

2015-02-24 06.46.35.jpg
2015-02-24 06.46.35.jpg (20.47 KiB) Viewed 2639 times
7 trays under the lights. Nothing in pots yet, but the broccoli is getting close to when it will get potted up.

I've been using plastic knives (picnic ware) for plant markers as has been suggested here, but they are a pain. With the lights down close to small plants, the knives are too tall and keep catching on the light fixture as the trays get pulled in and out. Once the plants get bigger and the lights can be raised it will be fine.

imafan26
Mod

When I have to cover my trays to keep the birds from eating the seeds. I put the knives under the pot. When the seedlings come out, then I put the knife/label in the pot and hope, I got the right one. Actually, I try not to put two different varieties of the same plant next to each other like different kinds of peppers. I would do instead one each of papaya, tomato, pepper, eggplant. They look different enough that I can usually tell what they are when they sprout. When they come out, then I can do other varieties.

applestar
Mod

I found the same thing about those knives. One thing -- cheaper plastic knives are shorter. Brand name, sturdier knives -- especially ones intended for "Dinner" are longer with better grip and balance that are completely unnecessary for using as labels. I prefer spoons anyway and they are usually shorter than knives -- cheaper ones of those are shorter as well.

I'm also using cut up Rice Milk carton panel covered with clear shipping tape. If you feel like spending a little time, aluminum foil ducting tape (not duct tape) folded twice makes a nice silver/reflective label. You can write with marker or write with pencil or pen for an embossed effect. I'm not feeling up to doing little fiddly work with the labels since I'm doing enough of that sort of thing with the seed bag germinating experiment, but I did like the effect last time I made labels with the tape.

I divided the Golden Self Blanching celery into individual K-cups. Last year, I started the celery seedlings in 3/4" micro cubes. That was actually easier to uppot into the K-cups -- It was difficult to handle the tiny seedlings a pinch at a time.... 1/2 of an ice cream sample "spoon" works well for K-cups, but I usually just write on the side of the container.
image.jpg
I got tired of it after 10 K-cups and divided the rest of the seedlings between two pudding cups:
image.jpg
-- I also divided the Peacock Purple Gene Pool Broccoli (I've no idea what this means but that's how they were calling these seeds at Fedco) that started out in one pudding cup community.

You can also see an onion bottom from yesterday's lunch being rooted in a K-cup. Once the roots start growing, I'll uppot it and put it out in the garage V-8 Nursery.

applestar
Mod

Waaah! With the rush of seedlings sprouting everywhere, I lost track of the lavender that I'd brought inside from cold stratification, and, unbeknownst to me, they had sprouted a few days ago while under humidity cover and lower down from the lights! :eek:

Hopefully they can still recover and I can put some more sandy mix around the hypocotyl to bury them after they get a little stronger and hopefully straighten up a little bit..... :?
image.jpg
...the lavender used to be back there where the black Echinacea seedling container is now...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I did the first potting up today - half of the broccoli seedlings are now in pots. I will get a pic for the broccoli seedling thread. The other half need to be and all the cabbage. I have to make up more potting mix to do all that, and I'm almost out of mushroom compost.....

I keep wondering when spring will be this year. We are within two weeks of when I have been planting in the ground other years and my garden is still deep in snow and ice. It went down to about zero last night, but looking at the forecast we have a big warm up coming and no more single digit temps. Weds will be 15 degrees and snowing though ... :(

applestar
Mod

Last night I was scrambling to get some sprouted seedlings in soilblocks, and posted this after midnight:
Subject: Starting pepper seeds >> spoon in zip bag germination
applestar wrote:Tomato seeds love this. They demonstrated one objection I have with this kind of pre-germination method. I was busy yesterday and today -- this evening, came home to a mess of sprouted, cotyledons fully extended... MUST BE POTTED seedlings :roll:

This meant starting my first tray of 2" mini soil blocks :()

...I also already have three 8 miniblocks @ 2 1/2 gal rice milk containers of peppers and eggplants, another 4 and 6 miniblocks of tomatoes, plus one more block... 30 tomatoes in miniblocks and 17 peppers and eggplants.
I promised them I would find them a place under the lights in the morning, but I didn't wake until nearly 8AM and was too tired to play musical lights wih the seedlings, so here they are in temporary holding. They will be OK like this until I have to add mor soilblocks to this tray, since the desk light only covers these 20 blocks. :roll:
image.jpg
They'll get a little setting sun from the window too, when it's sunny -- it's NOT today...it is SNOWING Image

NJ Bob
Cool Member

March 1 :D

Started today, 6-packs of:

3 banana pepper
1 bell pepper
1 eggplant

plus another round of:

1 mint
1 common chives
1 italian oregano

plus some up-potting of oregano and parsley

outside it's cold and icy, inside it's beautiful :P

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

NJ Bob wrote:March 1 :D

Started today, 6-packs of:

3 banana pepper
1 bell pepper
1 eggplant

plus another round of:

1 mint
1 common chives
1 italian oregano

plus some up-potting of oregano and parsley

outside it's cold and icy, inside it's beautiful :P
Very nice!! :D

Don't you love it.... we have had piles of snow on the ground through most of February and now continuing in Mar and bitter cold some of that time. All my little seedlings under the lights keep me sane!

River

I just don't have enough room. The dining room table has served its purpose during the winter
Now I hope to transition my Tomatoe plants in the garage or outside depending on temps after this week. It's been cloudy and warm enough to start the hardening process except the rain today hammered them pretty good just bending them a bit.

I will be ready to repot the sweet banana and bell peppers pretty soon. This week I will plant 4 varieties of basil plus a few eggplants. After that I will start some marigolds and maybe nasturtiums for the beneficials. Who knows what after that

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup, coming to spring and everything is going faster and getting crowded. I currently have 12 trays of seedlings and lots more stuff that needs to be spread out/ potted up. But I have no room for more until I replace the light fixture that exploded. I made up at least 10 gallons of my home made potting mix yesterday and used almost all of it up. Can't make more until I get more rice hulls. So far this season I have used about 4 lbs of rice hulls (a lot, they are very light), maybe 60 lbs of mushroom compost and 3 compressed bricks of coconut coir.

Planted nicotiana and borage yesterday. Potted up calendula and the rest of the cabbage and broccoli.

I think all the peppers and a lot of the tomato plants have been taken off the heat and spread out to one per cell.

I'll get a new pic of the broccoli which is growing fast since being potted up. After it went in pots it just sucked up water for the first week, to the point that I checked to be sure the tray wasn't leaking. I always make sure the potting mix is moistened before I plant things, so it wasn't that.

But there will be more room soon - a big warm up is coming, just ahead of spring. TOMORROW (!) four trays of cabbage and broccoli go out for the first time to start hardening. A little hard to believe since it is currently 15 degrees with snow all over everything. But the weather report says tomorrow it is going up to 41 degrees!!! (yay!!). So out they go. They will be coming in for the nights for awhile until they get more toughened up. But they will not go back under the lights.
And the kale will join them as soon as I can get it potted up. Then maybe celery, parsley .... Once all that cold weather stuff goes out, frees up a bunch of room under the lights.

applestar
Mod

Sounds good! I'm planning to start moving things out as of next week too. The plan is for the cold weather stuff to move out of the garage and tomato and potato seedlings to move out to the garage as soon as the garage temp stays above mid- to uppper-40's °F during the night. It will also be easier to take them out to harden from the garage doors. (I envy folks with patio door walk out basement grow rooms!)

I posted latest pictures in this new thread for my garden progress :wink:
:arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 79&t=61064

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”