NJ Bob
Cool Member

Re: 2015 seed starting thread!

I'm envious of your space! :>

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:If they have sprouted, I think onions, thyme, rosemary, and oregano seedlings could go out to the porch if it's sunny. Maybe bring them inside for the night temp is going down below mid-20's. Maybe not that much space saving, but every little bit helps.

What kind of "houseplants" do you have? Some may survive the porch temps if allowed to go dormant. (Will "look" terrible but will come back once it's warm enough.) -- maybe start a new thread in Container Gardening a Forum :wink:

The Houseplants are several kinds of Christmas Cactus and lots of their babies, some aren't so little anymore and Aloe Vera. The Cactus seems ok, with it as long as it comes back in. But the Aloe is looking tough.

I think you are right about the seedlings probaly doing better out there. I got more potting soil, so the next bunch of transplants will have to go out there. It can 't stay winter forever. 8)

sonia4evers
Newly Registered

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to start seeds for a purple empress tree and I found a couple different sources with different steps on how to do this.

One says to start by soaking for 6 hours (gardenguide.com), while another says to stratify for 2 weeks (eHow). Both then go on to say sow in a pot and germinate indoors before planting outdoors.

I guess in one way or another each will soak but does it matter which way/how long I go about it?

Thanks in advance!

Sonia

NJ Bob
Cool Member

I don't have a clue about the type of tree you're trying to start. The fun part for me in all of this though is the personal experimentation. If it was me I'd try both ways. :()

sonia4evers
Newly Registered

Thats a great idea, I have more than enough seeds to do that. Thanks!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

My lettuce got wiped out by some type of fungus. It just kind of melted. Right in the tray...which I haven't planted....yet. I'll do it tomorrow.... Probably (probably not)... Garden isn't ready to plant yet.

I need to feed the rest!

I'm gonna have to buy starts for my hot weather plants. I still have time for seedlings I guess! Late start! I got my hands full!
image.jpg
That was 3 weeks ago.
image.jpg
That's today.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”