River

Flats without holes for 4 inch square pots

When I transplant my tomatoes from the seed starter trays I would like to find a flat that I can use indoors that is like the seed starter trays. I called greenhouse megastores and they wish they could get there manufacturers to make them.

Does anyone know who makes sturdy trays without holes?

I saw Walmart sells the cheap 3-4 inch pot with this tray but very flimsy and cheap.

imafan26
Mod

Do you want something like these? Flats come with or without holes for a standard 1020 flat. There are trays that are made of plastic that the flat fits into for more support. And thicker plastic trays that I have seen used for hydroponic starts that are reusable and made of heavy plastic.
One standard 1020 flat will hold 18-3.5 inch pots. It will hold approximately 15-4 inch but will have some space. If you downsize your pot to the 3.5 inch size they fit better in the tray and do not waste space the 1020 flats are designed for it.
There are many sites for this just google 1020 daisy tray or 1020 nursery flats without holes.
Most of the flats are extruded plastic and thin so work better if you use them as an insert for the daisy tray which will give them the support they need. The hydroponic plug trays were the only ones I have seen made of thick and heavy plastic and the trays are often longer. They are designed to hold plugs like the oasis plugs but can be used to hold pots. If you have a lot of seedlings to grow out, oasis plugs will grow 162 seedlings in one tray and then you can transplant each plug into 4 inch pots or hydroponic raft or rail later. It saves space in the beginning.

https://www.growerssupply.com/farm/supp ... 09051.html
https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/cate ... ys-inserts

This is a propagation tray for hydroponics but it is made of rigid plastic. It is narrow 8x42 inches and will hold about 20- 4 inch pots with some extra room on the length or a a sheet of oasis plugs.
https://www.hhydro.com/botanicare-white- ... x8-x4.html

River

So u mean take a 1020 tray without holes and put it in a daisy tray to give it more support?

imafan26
Mod

Yes. Actually I prefer the square daisy trays they will hold 25-3.5 inch pots and 20-4 inch pots with a little extra room. I can get them at the local ag supply or buy used ones from my orchid club. I also have round pot trays for 4,5,6 inch pots, but I only use them for shows and safaris. I usually plant seeds in 4 inch community pots and transplant out to individual 3.5 inch square pots and use the daisy trays to keep them from falling over on my bench and for transport. I have bought a case of 3.5 inch pots. They come stuck together and one sheet will fit a daisy tray, it lasts a long time. There are different qualities of the square pots. The thicker pots I keep for plants I am going to keep for a long time but to give away or if I plant to transplant them out later the thinner pots work, but they are flimsy. If you plan on keeping your square pots a while, that is the place to get the good ones. If you are selling or not planning to use them more than once or twice, the cheaper ones do work.
I have one or two 1020 flats to fit the 1020 daisy tray, but I rarely use the flats, I put the pots directly in the daisy tray. If the flats are particularly heavy with something like 6-1 gallon pots, I will double up the daisy tray for more strength. Daisy trays with smaller holes are stronger than the 'webbed' or diamond mesh ones which can twist easily.

I actually would never use a tray that did not drain, it would be a good way to kill everything. I don't even use peat pellets or paper pots, because they stay wet too long and are hard to pick up. But I tend to over water and I start my seeds outside.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

For indoor seed starting, I just use the 1020 trays with no holes and put pots in them. The trays are sitting on a counter, so they don't need to be super strong.

When the plants are going to get moved outside, I move them into the daisy trays; otherwise they will drown the first time it rains.

greenhouse megastore is a good place to buy stuff like this - excellent service, very fast delivery and cheap prices.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

River, How many little starts are you talking? That can make a difference in set-up.

This is what I have been doing, and so far working for my micro areas and seed starting 12 months. Go from peat pellet to 3.5" plastic pot. I get most from the re-cycle at the garden centers and of course from starts I have bought, Last summer was getting ahead of myself, as I was selling more starts meaning pots flowing away! I ordered the cheaper flex sided ones from the greenhouse store. They work fine, and some have been re-used 2 -3 times.

Back to trays for the little pots. I use the plastic flat trays holding 12, 6 pots down each side, ridge in center. If they are inside and need watered, 2 x week at most, just bring to sink and water. If outside is not an issue! Now I have over 12 trays, that's x 12 starts, so going on 150. The 12 per tray is easier to move and shift than the 18. As you are even a tad warmer than me, can take trays outside to water during the day.

Unless you have a bigger business, shouldn't have to buy the trays. There are many at the garden center stacked up for the taking.

Hope this helps

imafan26
Mod

Not every garden center throw them away like pallets so you have to be near a center that does. The better daisy trays will last for years and store stacked.

River

Sorry I should have elaborated. The reason is I may need to keep the plants inside after I transfer them to the sturdy 4inch square pots that I got from the megastore. They will be on my dining room table until my garage is cool enough. Right now it's beautiful and warm enough to put them outside but the temps will drop on the weekend we have extremes in mobile

You will get up to 70 today then the next day it's a low of 30 with a high of 40's. I planted on jan 10th most of my tomatoes were up by Thursday so February is crazy weather as well and the garage gets cold. So I thought it might make things easier and less chance of water messing up the tables or floors

River

I spoke to the megastore today and I had looked at the dimensions for the 1020 flats and then the daisy trays the dimensions are different and the rep said you cannot put them together. I asked if I could take the daisy tray and place it inside the 1020 without the holes or vice versa
She said it won't work?

NJ Bob
Cool Member

I would think that any 1020 tray would do the trick no?

I, on the other hand, am in the market for some sturdy 3.5" square transplant pots. Anyone know where I might find them?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

greenhouse megastore has been mentioned several times in this thread already. It is a good source for all this kind of stuff.

I don't know why they said that - there clearly are webbed trays that fit quite nicely just inside the solid 1020's; I do it all the time.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

NJ Bob wrote:I would think that any 1020 tray would do the trick no?

I, on the other hand, am in the market for some sturdy 3.5" square transplant pots. Anyone know where I might find them?
I get these 3.5" 18 cell trays from Menards for $4. They hold water and have drain channels but to only 2 cells at a time. You can pull out a 3.5 pot and pour water until it overflows into the other cells.

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/ga ... -10125.htm

They are a little flimsy like all seed starting trays. They will fit inside a 1020 tray to help beef it up. Walmart has a similar 18 cell but they are not as tall.

What I also like is that you can replace a 3.5 square pot with a solo cup and IT WON"T FALL OVER. I hate balancing solo cups.

Here you can see the 18 cell nested in a 1020 tray.

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Another great place for pots and trays is Novosel Enterprises. They can beat GreenhouseMega Stores prices at times and have good strong pots and nice 1020 trays.

River, when I need extra strength for pots in 1020 trays because I'm moving them in and out, I just double up the 1020 trays.

Another place to get 1020 trays usually for about $1.00 a tray is Ocean State Job Lot if you have one around near you.

I agree with Rainbow that if I'm leaving the pots outside where they will get rained on, I use the open weave daisy trays. GreenhouseMega Store is correct that the 1020 trays do not fit into the daisy trays well or vice versa. It's one or the other or you deal with the buckling if you try to put them together.

I've put pots in the daisy trays and used the 1020 tray to bottom water things and just put the water level up enough in the 1020 tray to reach the pots and then removed them once they absorbed enough water.

Good luck! :)

NJ Bob
Cool Member

Thank you guys. I have the Walmart tray with the 18 pots. The pots are rather flimsy though. I'm looking for something a little sturdier. I'm going to check out a couple of nurseries today. Otherwise I see something in the Greenhouse Megastore that will probably do the job.

Thanks again!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

It does surprise me that some of you are buying trays! Certainly your garden center be it small or part of box store has a re-cycle shelf. As the store sells down, stacks up empty trays of all sorts. Until last season I was able to keep up with recycle pots, 3.5", qts and some larger from the recycle. As my operation expanding, purchased some pots from Greenhouse megastore.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”