digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Re: Starting pepper seeds >> spoon in zip bag germination

So,

it's inside the drinking straw?

I'm not quite sure what we are looking at, AppleStar.

Steve

applestar
Mod

When starting seeds this way, you put a piece of drinking straw on the spoon once they start germinating and open the zip for lifting up the top of the bag to give them room to grow, and for ventilation -- like this.

In this one's case,
-- I procrastinated planting these sprouted seedlings until several had already completely unfolded their seed leaves, which is pretty much the latest you want to wait. They quickly deplete the spoonful of water and need to be watered judiciously twice or more a day, and way outgrow the little bags. But I didn't notice the little seedling inside the straw because until they do unfold their leaves, you don't see much color.

BTW this year's sand sized DE medium is solving the problem I had before with seedlings that had grown this big, which is the way the roots tangled up in the layers of paper that would only tear directionally, requiring really careful handling not to break off the roots. With the DE, filling the spoon with water loosens everything up and all the roots slide right out.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Here's one of the peppers I started in the vermiculite - the Hanoi Market. I started this one early because it is usually one of the slowest to germinate, yet it was the first one this time - in just 5 1/2 days! I transferred all of them to two pots - I planted more than I did for all the others, only because I had a bunch, since I saved them. I'll just snip them, and leave the best, once they get going.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”