Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Watering seedlings from the bottom! Questions!

Should I mix something in the water to feed them? What is best? Is warm water better? Should the water stay at a inch deep all the time or watered only once a day? I have 10 small tick plastic swimming pools 4 foot round that I am going to use in the greenhouse in march! I will drill a hole a inch from the bottom so the water does not get any deeper.

JC's Garden

I've been watering from the bottom for years when starting seeds. I don't poke holes in the containers any more, since I don't use a hose so it's easy to control water level. They don't normally need water every day. I judge the need for water by the weight of the containers, you get a feel for it pretty quickly. I just remind myself that too little water is a much smaller problem than too much. I think it's a lot easier to control damping off this way.

I mix up my potting soil so it's light & not prone to compaction and make sure there are enough nutrients for a good start. I don't add nutrients to the water. I'm more worried about root development than plant growth. The roots tend to show better development when they have to look for food. I'll have a good root ball when I put them in the ground.

I'm looking forward to other's posting their opinions on this one.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I do all bottom watering for my seed starting. I have cells/ pots in trays. I just pour a little water in the bottom of the tray. But no, you do NOT want them sitting in water all the time. I just pour about 1/4 inch or so of water in the tray, just enough so the water is touching the bottom of the pot so the soil can wick it up. Then I don't add any more until the tray is dry. Usually that is every morning, especially for the ones that are on the heat mat, which dry out a lot faster and sometimes get a little extra water in the evening. But if I check in the morning and it still has any water in the tray, I don't add more.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”