Rairdog
Green Thumb

Re: Seed starting chamber

applestar wrote:Looks great! I'm defitely experimenting with DE for seed starting now -- I have UltraSorb. Did I mention that already?

What do you recommend feeding? I have Maxicrop with iron 0-0-1 and I have AP/aquarium water for N. Since the DE is inert I figure they are going to need fed more especially if I up-pot in DE. I will have to order it since everything sold here is MG. I have considered HP solution....just can't seem to locate and all-in-one mix in small quantities.

I picked up a couple 4 ft T8 fixtures for supplemental light. From what I've read a 6500 is best for starts and greens.

applestar
Mod

I like making AACT (actively aerated compost tea). I use earthworm castings, UCG (used coffee grounds) and rinse out water from various beverage containers, leftover tea and coffee, etc. I also add strained alfalfa pellet soaking water, I might toss in "got yucky in the refrigerator mushroom caps", etc., occasionally a handful of organic potting mix....

I'm not scientific at all so my answer/methods may not appeal to everyone :P

Oh! but I would most likely uppot in organic potting mix blended with some coir and a bit of DE.

Are you planning to plant in your ...what was it? Hydro or Aqua ponic beds?

Rairdog
Green Thumb

The greens I have started now will go into the Aquaponics hopefully in a few weeks depending on water temps. The peppers, toms...etc will go in dirt and need some supplemental feeding if I start them this early.

I have some Buffalo loam 1-1-1 and Encap compost 1-0.5-0.5 to try some tea. I was thinking of bumping up the P & K.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I have been working out the bugs on my new seed chamber. So far it has kept the temp above 60 when the GH is in the low 30's and the outside temp is in the mid 20's. The goal is to start toms and peppers etc in Jan. The plant will then move to GH (some in AP beds) beds in March and into the dirt in May. It will also allow me to grow greens all winter and overwinter some herbs and misc plants.

Here are some peppers and toms germinating. The temp does not show up on camera correctly. I am still experimenting with Hydofarm temp probe placement. When placed in the media the mat gets fairly hot (90ish). When placed directly on mat the media is slightly cooler. So far when thermostat is set at 83 the media is around 78.

The door is a double layer of poly which helped get the temp up to 60.

I added a light/timer to supplement morning and evening light. Here are some lettuce, spinach and chard coming up.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I changed out the plastic to a heavier/clearer plastic and put in a window fan that was on clearance. I am not really happy with the fan and plan on a temperature actived fan when the price is right. The outside temp is 30 and the GH got up to 80 but the chamber stabilizes between 63 and 75 so far this week regardless of temps and sunshine. The goal was to keep it between 60 and 80 without supplemental heat. I don't mind 60 watts of supplemental light and whatever the fan uses. The DE is great at retaining water and so far has made life much easier when I don't have to woory about over watering and drying out. The next issue wil be excessive heat when outside temp get above 50 and GH temps approach 90. I'm hoping a gas activated window opener will keep the GH from overheating. It can go from 50 to 80 in 10 minutes or drop when it suddenly turn cloudy. I don't mind the challenge when it free solar heat.

Here are some more pics. The new plastic...

Spinach, chard and lettuce (lettuce is getting a little leggy from the cloudy weather but not bad). Shot through the new plastic.

This will be my first attempt at kohlrabi grown in aquaponics. Greens do very well and broccoli did great but took too long and too much space. We will see how the kohlrabi likes wet feet.

Some tomatoes coming up. This is the frst time I have ever attempted saving tomato seeds so it's more of a germination test. They will have a hard time making it until May but I plan on starting new toms 6-8 weeks before last frost.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Keeping the seedlings above 55 has not been a problem when it drops to single digits. Today it got up to 32 outside. The GH got to 88. The thermostat kicks the fan on at 75 and blows into the house. The air coming into the house was around 72 deg for 4 hrs....free heat!

Whats is nice is they are hardened off from the start with minimal elec use and no moving in/out. The fan is 17 watt and only runs for a few hrs above 75 deg. The heat mat is 40 watts and runs about 50% of the time just for the peppers. The light is 60 watts and runs for 10 hrs. 5 hrs in the am and 5 hrs in the pm with direct sunlight from 11am to 4pm. I have over 300 plants going as of now but only 160 of them get the extra light.

Keeping them from frying will be the next issue and require a lot of manual input.

From inside the house looking out the window

From outside in the GH looking into the end of the chamber.

They are a little leggy but the stems are sturdy. I blow on them and the just wiggle without bending. The toms are very purple on underside of leaves with a 55 to 70 deg grow. I will start more...these are just an experiment for slow growing.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”