turfdr
Newly Registered

Relocating seedlings

Hi everyone. Could anyone tell me how mature, tall, etc... my seedlings need to be to relocate them to my unheated garage? I have limited space in my "grow room" and need ideas on where to move them as they mature. I haven't started yet but I know from years past that I will run out of room.
Central Pa with freezing weather untill mid March. Thanks for any replies in advance.
Last edited by turfdr on Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

sorry, but seedlings of what? It makes a big difference. Some things are way more cold tolerant than others.

You put this in seed starting which is fine and appropriate, but doesn't give a hint as to what kind of seedlings (as opposed to if for example you posted the same question in the Tomato growing section). Your other posts, which I checked, seem to be mostly about grass (as would be suggested by your turfdr screen name :) ). So I really haven't a clue what kind of seedlings we are talking about.
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

turfdr
Newly Registered

Whoops!!!!!! I'm sorry. All veggies started indoors weeks prior to last frost. Tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, etc.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

OK, thanks.

I do start broccoli seedlings indoors also, because they are a bit slow and I can give them a better start. Broccoli is extremely cold tolerant. I'm in probably a somewhat similar climate to you, and I plant broccoli seeds indoors sometime in mid-late Jan. Once it is a sturdy little plant in its own pot (say with at least two pair of true leaves), you could probably move it out to the garage. You would need to do that a bit gradually to harden them off, say taking them out for a few hours and then bringing them back in for the night and increasing the hours. Once they are fully hardened, they are frost tolerant. But in the garage, they will need lighting. It might be just as easy to just take them outside, starting in some sheltered spot and still bringing them in at night at first. I harden mine off outdoors and then plant them in the ground around mid-march, which for me is a month earlier than my average last frost date.

The tomatoes and especially the peppers are much more cold sensitive. I start pepper seeds indoors maybe in early-mid Feb, because they grow and mature slower. Tomato seeds I don't start until late Feb or 1 Mar. The tomatoes can go outside or in unheated garage when temps are 50 or above. Peppers need a little warmer than that. Everything needs some gradual hardening off. Late winter, early spring, I do a lot of bringing trays of seedlings in and out, depending on the weather and their degree of hardening.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”