Susan W
Greener Thumb

Seed starting cycle

My seed starting cycle is different from most here. I am playing with moistly perennials, herbs, native plants and more, rather eclectic. Most of those that do germinate and make it to decent size are put out to sell at the farmers market, and of course some I keep or gift. I have many more going now that last year this time, and when it gets really cold not sure what the plan is!

Anyway, I am usually gone about 1 week 1st November and try not to have any new starter pellets for anyone else to worry about. the 4" pots and larger can handle this if put out of sun etc. If anyone is in AL then, I should be at Ft Toulouse, Wetumpka doing the natural dye demo.

To keep things going, figure to have 4 -6 (10/12) peat pellet trays started and in veggie drawer of frig, as they need 4 - 6 weeks. I'll try some of the seeds I harvested including Baptisia and coneflower (pallida, Tennessee, purple).

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It is different. I don't think about planting seeds until January....

applestar
Mod

So, Susan, are you starting the cold stratification process now? ...that would mean you would take them out around beginning of December?

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Yes, start 12 months. I am trying to figure timing for many things. Some of my stuff is 6 mths to a year out to market ready or bloom, so doesn't matter when started. Of course annuals and short ready-time are started approx Jan-May. The ones that need a chill don't know what month it is, so I figure to try to keep something in that frig drawer! I think I had the most going May-Aug when it is easy to work with natural heat/light. I keep the fresh seeded inside mainly so I can watch and hover, then once up go out to a light shaded and sheltered spot.

Just being creative with micro space, micro managing, and playing with different plants.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”