erins327

Fall 2014 comin' at ya!

I went to the nursery today to pick up some more seeds to get ready for planting for Fall. Yes, here in Texas, we are already acting on getting them going. Time flies when are having fun growing!

I only have space for about 24 seed pods, so I have to choose carefully. My plan is to start a few things by seed, and then when the weather gets cool enough here in about 6-8 weeks, directly sow everything else.

This is what I have:

Kale- Nero di Toscana
Lettuce- red salad bowl mix
Lettuce- Buttercrunch
Spinach- Giant Noble
Brussel Sprouts- Long Island
Radish- Cherry Belle
Argula- Rocket Salad and Slow Bolt
Artichoke- Green Globe
Cilantro
Onion- Red Bunching
Carrot - Danvers 126
Beets- Ruby Queen
Broccoli- Calabrese
Peas- Green Arrow
Strawberries! -- Can't find at any of my local nurseries though. Hopefully a little later in the summer they will start stocking them.

Most of these I have either directly sown or bought transplants of. I have only really started seeds indoors for my Summer collections, this will be the first year to start out the Fall.

Anyone else in the South gearing up to the do the same thing? Let's talk while we are suffering indoors with 100+ weather than even my okra seemed to be stressed about!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I'm gonna try from seed this fall.

I'm usually buying plants, but I'm gonna do seed from not on...period. I'm talking myself up, and I do expect a few losses, as I get around my learning curve! I plan on starting many of my brassicas this weekend. Beets and turnips I'll put directly in the ground.

erins327

Good luck Lindsay!

This is my first winter to start seeds indoors. I have usually started my tomatoes and peppers indoors in the Spring, but have always done direct in the Fall. But this year I want to get a head start on eating cool season veggies!

imafan26
Mod

I have planted broccoli, beets, and toscano kale. I have bibb lettuce, and I have also planted more pepper and eggplant seeds. They are long lived plants here but do not start well when the weather dips below 70.

I have started my fall garden plan and I have just harvested my corn last week. I have a ton of weeds from the recent rains so I still have to amend the garden with more compost and maybe some steer manure or meat meal.

I still have to start more parsley, cutting celery, won bok, tatsoi, and pak choi, but they can wait until the weather is cooler.
I have to remember to space them so they don't all come in on the same week. Been there, done that repeatedly.
I can also get more cucumber in.
I want to try to get gobo in, but I am running out of time. I need to get my tube set up and I haven't even got the tube yet. Well, maybe some year.

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

Fall and winter are our main tomato season here, its opposite the rest of the country. Going to start 99 varieties of tomato on Aug 20. Peppers were started 5 weeks ago. Only 19 types. 6 basil types, lettuce but I have to see which and what. In October I'll do 2 broccolis, and November will be sugar snap peas. It's been a long summer, and I am so ready for some fresh veggies.
Had to get by all summer with just Mangoes, starfruit, and okra. :eek:

applestar
Mod

99 varieties... Now why does that make me chuckle? It sounds like you are saying it's OK, I'm not so crazy as to grow one HUNDRED :lol: :>

Good luck with your fall/winter season! :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If I were going to get some fall garden seed in, it would be about time to be starting. It just seems to be hard to find the time...

applestar
Mod

I tossed a few more seeds around RS style -- Overseeding? Underseeding? ( I can't remember which ) around VGA (the 4x4 deep raised bed) tomatoes with carrots, radishes, parsnips as well as some herbs I think root parsley, cilantro, onions, and dill... Under the protective tunnel under the squash leaves with the brassicas that would be vulnerable to cabbage whites, etc. some broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and kale... And more of the herb mix around other areas.

I'm going to scatter more parsley seeds I collected from the one that flowered and set seeds this year. This way, there many be more flowering parsley around the garden next year. I think the russet mite affected tomatoes recovered best under that plant.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I'm on it....lettuce and spinach! It's also a good time to get rid old seeds that don't germinate.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I am planting for the fall crop now with lettuce my main crop! Since peas put nitrogen in the soil I am putting peas all over the areas where the crops are done! I am also starting climbing beans , peas and other things inside the uncovered greenhouse and cover when the nights get cold.

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:99 varieties... Now why does that make me chuckle? It sounds like you are saying it's OK, I'm not so crazy as to grow one HUNDRED :lol: :>

Good luck with your fall/winter season! :D
:lol:
Thanks for the warm wishes. Luck is always helpful here in bug and disease central. :eek:
21 of those are for the garden club's charity sale.

erins327

So far so good with me!

My artichokes are coming up nicely. Have three of those I will have to make room for in the garden soon. Dare I saw I will need to expand it to put those monsters in!

Broccoli didn't germinate, and the ones that did bolted. I didn't realize it looks like they like cooler, even from whats in the house. I think I'm going to go your path marlingardener and just buy transplants next month.
Brussel sprouts really didnt germinate either. Same issue I presume? The good news is I only need 2-3 brussels to feed us, not like the other stuff.

Kale, snowpeas and spinach doing great!

erins327

I put some dragon beans in a few weeks ago, and they were doing relatively well until we got another wave of 100 degree weather. They got a little wilty and some of them didn't make it, but I hope they recover well and give me another nice pulse of beans before the cold fronts start!

Marlingardener- This is my first attempt. Was inspired by my neighbors artichoke plants that seem to harvest all last Spring with no attention laid to it! I'm trying Golden Globe, which is the ideal variety for this area. I am hoping to transplant them when it gets cooler, they grow throughout the winter, and I have some crowns in the Spring. I have read on some other sites that they don't usually flower the first year. Which would be bad, I don't think they would survive summer climates in Texas! But what can trying with a $1 worth of seeds hurt, right?

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”