Susan W
Greener Thumb

Rosemary from seed

Any tips for starting rosemary from seed? I usually get a new start or 2 in the spring, this year no exception. Yesterday while browsing the seed racks at a box store picked up rosemary. Why not?! In doing the usual google could tell it takes a long time. Also one site mentioned dark, others did not.
I figured if I can get some to germinate and up a bit, put in the qt pot. As we have 4 months yet before frost, may have a plant! Then keep it protected during the winter along with some other plants that can take some frost but not real cold, at least when small and in pots.

imafan26
Mod

It is possible but rosemary is very slow from seed. It is actually easier to start them from cuttings and you still need to take the cuttings at the right time of the year.

shadylane
Green Thumb

I just sown rosemary seeds. Sprinkle on top of moist soil mix, press down slightly. Keep moist, I used a spray bottle twice daily. And set it in a south window. It took one week, and now have little sprouts emerging. Good luck

imafan26
Mod

Shadylane, you must have a super green thumb. The rosemary I tried to plant from seed years ago, took nearly a month to come up and grew very slowly. Most of them died before maturing.

Then I went to ground layering which worked much better.

Now, I have figured out when to take rosemary cuttings, I have rosemary plants in about 6 weeks.

HonoluluGirl

Imafan, when do you take Rosemary cuttings? I tried twice in the last couple months and they all withered and died.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”