Susan W
Greener Thumb

Milkweed, from seed

This is an extension, and perhaps a few more eyeballs, from Milkweed under Perennials. Who has started milkweeds from seed (common and swamp)? They are both perennials, so does one start in winter for summer growth and blooms? A year out? Any tricks and tips? I have done Butterfly weed, and it is a year out to bloom, weak at best, several years to establish.

I am messing with common and swamp now to germinate, testing waters. More Butterfly weed in the pipeline.

As a side note, this is more about Monarch butterflies than milkweed!

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Hi Susan, OK, I admit to knowing too little to mention about these plants, but I'd like to know how you do with them. Pictures sure help to bring everything in focus. Hope to hear more.

Richard

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Susan - Girl you are way over thinking this thing. Milkweed - regardless of the variety - will grow like a weed. Toss seeds out in your yard or garden and watch them grow.

I grow Mexican Milkweed and it really acts like a weed. Once it gets started it is good to go for years. Common and Swamp Milkweed will do the same.

Sow your seeds and chill. They will grow and bloom.

Milkweed will do just fine if left alone. All you need to do is water if you have more than 4 or 5 days without rain.

Milkweed is butterfly/hummingbird gardening 101. Super simple. Don't over complicate.

Sow and enjoy.

Good luck

Susan W
Greener Thumb

FWIW, some of these plants from seed aren't as easy as it seems. I've been messing with perennials, either native or brought early with the Euros. Some easy-peasy, some need chilled (to fake winter), some light or dark dependent. Arghhh! Often getting a few out of 10 or 12 to sprout is a success. (did I mention some have low germination rates to boot!)

So the milkweed. Richard, I don't know what your native one is. Our common goes into midwest, but not far west. Also don't know if you are on a monarch path -migration route. They do travel the Pacific coast, and there is the Monarch wintering place on the coast near Carmel.

Elizabeth, I am thinking your 'tropical' milkweed is an easy sow. These others not so much!

I think I found an info source on the seed starting, milkweed and Lobelia (cardinal flower) My 'cross the street neighbor, a biologist, messed with these to plant in their field in Southern Illinois, when they lived there. Bingo!

valley
Greener Thumb

Susan, I just looked up,google, Milkweed. There are a couple types growing wild here at our Nevada place. I fenced two types, from the rabbits, to see how they'd turn out, I had no idea they were Milkweed.
I'm guessing you're interested in them for the Butterflies?

Richard

Susan W
Greener Thumb

You got it Richard! I did a quick google on migration maps, and looks like you're in the running, or fly. Yours coming from the Monterey area. Now there's a study project for your girls!

I didn't mean to sound snarky or off in my comments on the start times. Like everything else folks here discuss be it tomatoes or broccoli, we look at time out to plant from seed. Lots of variation of course, but we get an idea of time factors.

valley
Greener Thumb

Some of the plant that spring up are very beautiful, they must have been placed here to aid specific creatures in their travel.

Thanks for posting this information.

Richard
Attachments
IMG_0100a.JPG

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I must have done something wrong. I threw out a bunch of "pre treated" (had a cold spell) milkweed seeds for butterflies and not a single of them sprouted. I'm hoping once they go through a winter then maybe they'll sprout next year.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

RRose, perhaps next time try sprouting in a more controlled area, such as where you are doing your other starts. Once up can put in the ground.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Susan W wrote:RRose, perhaps next time try sprouting in a more controlled area, such as where you are doing your other starts. Once up can put in the ground.
I put them in with some wildflower seed mixes and had a whole bed dedicated for them. But nothing. I got some tropical varieties I didn't plant so I'll try those next year. I don't think they transplant well, from what I read.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”