Lab_Man

I'm a victim of my own success.

I started 100 marigold and 100 Zinnia seeds last week. They are a 1/2 inch tall and I need to transplant them.

What would you suggest that I transplant them into? I was thinking of dixi cups.

applestar
Mod

Susan W
Greener Thumb

What are your plans for all of these? If own use, can pot into about anything. That's alot of zinnias and marigolds!

Lab_Man

My wife planted the whole lot into pots and borders in our property. There are a couple pots that will need thinning out when they get bigger, if they all make it.

The Zinnia is my favorite annual by far. Growing up, my mom would plant annuals around the house and the Zinnias were the most beautiful, in my opinion.

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Every year we plant about 140 or so marigolds in plug style containers. Then when they are about 3 - 4" tall they get transplanted into those long planters. We take the planters and use them to border the garden as marigolds are known to be deterrents to some garden pests.

If you transplanted them into pots all around the border of your home, it will be lovely when they are all in bloom. :-()

Lab_Man

She is already perusing the seed catalogs for next years plantings. :shock:

I think I created a monster. :D

Lab_Man

I transplanted 75 Rudbeckias into dixie cups tonight!! I also am trying to propagate some Hydrangea cuttings. I have one that is 3 weeks old and hasn't dried up. Maybe I have one going??? Fingers crossed.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”