Kim22871
Newly Registered

is it too late to start sugar snap and snow peas

I started some sugar snap and snow peas about 4 weeks ago. I started them in peat pots. BIG MISTAKE! They started to mold. :x They look dry sometimes but the pot looks wet. I didn't know if I am over watering under watering. It is a nightmare. And they are not looking too sexy. Is it too late to start some new seeds in plastic containers? Or should I just plant them straight in the ground. Please help. I love sugar snaps :D and they can be really expensive to buy in the grocery stores.

Kim from Cajun Country

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know enough about your climate to know if it is too late for you to plant peas, certainly your season has to be getting along and they don't deal well with hot weather. If you are going to give it a try, definitely plant them directly in the ground. I start a ton of seeds indoors, but I always plant peas directly in the ground, as soon as the ground can be worked.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Kim - the vegetable planting guide does not list sugar snap or snow peas but their requirements are similar to English peas. They are best sown directly in the ground. The planting time is 12/15 - 1/31 and again the first 2 weeks of August for a fall crop. My neighbor planted some sugar snaps the last week of January. Her vines are about 4' long. She has a few flowers and maybe 1/2 dozen young peas. She may get a handful of peas before it gets too hot. We have already had a couple of days with temperatures in the 80's. Sugar snaps and snow peas have a real tough time this far south. Try planting your starts but don't get your hopes up. In August try planting some in the ground. If the heat does not last too long into the fall you may be able to get a crop.

I tried sugar snaps several times but never got more than enough to cook for a couple of meals for the 2 of us. I gave up. It is much more rewarding to grow crops that do well in our heat and humidity.

Good luck

Kim22871
Newly Registered

Ok thanks. I think I'll just wait and plant some in August for a fall crop.

McKinney88

ElizabethB wrote: We have already had a couple of days with temperatures in the 80's. Sugar snaps and snow peas have a real tough time this far south. Try planting your starts but don't get your hopes up. In August try planting some in the ground. If the heat does not last too long into the fall you may be able to get a crop.

I tried sugar snaps several times but never got more than enough to cook for a couple of meals for the 2 of us. I gave up. It is much more rewarding to grow crops that do well in our heat and humidity.

Good luck
Well this is disappointing lol. I planted my snap peas in April and just planted some more this week... I did not know snap peas were an early thing.

:shock:

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I plant then all year long in Pa. Try a shaded area in the spring! I have no problem in the summer. Try runner beans they will really produce all summer! There are about 4 or more types of runner beans. You can eat everything on the plant!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

McKinney - those were planting dates for south Louisiana. Memphis is in another region. I will see if I can find planting dates for you.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

McKinney - UT is your land grant university. This is their vegetable gardening guide. Snow peas and sugar snaps need conditions similar to English Peas.

https://utextension.tennessee.edu/publi ... /PB901.pdf

You may want to save the UT AgCenter site to your favorites. Lots of great information. It is all research based and region specific.

Good Luck

imafan26
Mod

Plant peas in the fall and cooler months of the year. When it get hot, plant beans instead.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:Plant peas in the fall and cooler months of the year. When it get hot, plant beans instead.
I have always had better luck in the fall with peas Spring around here can be so screwed up hot one day cold the next the peas don't know what time of year it is. But the fall they do real well.

applestar
Mod

When and how do you sow for fall peas? I have yet to succeed.

One of my biggest problem is the timing -- when I count back from the first average frost, the time to sow is always in the middle of the summer when it's hottest!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Applestar - the PDF link list varieties for New Jersey. The only reference to NJ planting dates was in the publication Planning Your Vegetable Garden. No reference to different dates for different varieties. The guide listed Peas - from seed - March/April.

As much as I enjoy Sugar Snaps and Snow Peas I have pretty much given up on trying to grow them. Some crops just require more effort then I am willing to put out for a minimal return.

Good luck

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”