Gardener123
Green Thumb

Which catalog has the most information about their seeds?

I was reading Mother Earth News while in a waiting room, and they mentioned that some catalogs provides more info than others, and that is how they recommended which catalog to use. I didn't get to read all of the article, but I do remember saying that one of them provides all the charts for when to start each veggie, when to sow outside or transplant based on zones. They said that they also tell you about ph needs.

I don't think they were actually going to say who that is, lest they annoy some of their advertisers......

I use Baker Creek, and I get good seeds, but I wouldn't mind even more info than they provide.

applestar
Mod

I think in the east coast, Johnny's Selected Seeds provides a very comprehensive info set for each type of crop and individual varieties for many of those crops. Not seeds but Logee's is a great source of info for tropical winter indoor plants and I reference their website a lot.

I like Southern Exposure Seed Exchange for much of their mid-Atlantic specific planting info and detailed heirloom seeds provenance.

In the west coast, I believe Territorial Seed has good info, and Horizon Herbs has a very thorough website. Some invaluable info from Bountiful Gardens and Kitazawa Seeds.

imafan26
Mod

Rene's garden is also good for providing info, gardening tips and even recipes.
Dixondale is the best for onions.

But do remember that seed companies are in the business of selling seeds so they are going to tell you about their strengths and not so much about their issues.

There is also regional issues. Varieties that work in the North won't necessarily work well in the south or West. And each region or state may have climate, soil, pest, or diseases that seeds make some seeds more adaptable.

For specific plants, your local university extension site will have information about what grows best in your area and what kinds of resistance you need for the ones you choose.

For instance, I need nematode, CMV,TMV,fungal,bacterial wilt, rust, and heat resistance on most varieties of fruits and vegetables I grow if I am to get a decent crop. However, the trade off for that is often flavor and tenderness, so I have to find the best variety that tastes decent that I can grow.

A lot of that is experimental. I can grow Vidalia onions but they won't taste the same because I am not growing them under the same conditions as they would be growing in Georgia. I got a great tasting Brandywine, but it was not as big as it could have gotten and I had to prophetically spray it for fungal disease. Not to mention the birds ate half my tomatoes.

There are some places like Tatiana's tomato base and morningsun herb farm tomato taste tests that are a good place to start for tomatoes.

Gardener123
Green Thumb

Apple..... I went and visited that site... wow! I looked at the online catalog, and already placed a small order. And, of course, I requested a catalog.... great bedtime reading. Thanks! ( johnnys )

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”