Aya

Is it too late?

I found some great organic winter squash seeds over the weekend. It says they have a 90 day maturation rate. Is it too late in the season to start them and expect fruit? I'm in zone 8A(Seattle). Maybe if they are quick to germinate I'd be ok? What do you all think?

gardeningwithe

Re: Is it too late?

I am not sure... what zone are you in?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not too late. If you were in my area, it might still be too early. Being in zone 8, you probably have a long growing season. Looks like your average first frost date isn't until well in to November. PLENTY of time. Squash are quick germinating. Just be sure it doesn't go in the ground until the soil is well warmed up. 90 days to maturity means from when they sprout (just a few days after planting), it is three months until the first ripe fruit. You have twice that long, so you will have a long season of harvesting squash, if all goes well. 90 days is quick for winter squash.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

applestar
Mod

Yes, with winter squash early maturing varieties such as this 90 day ones need to be sown a little later or you'll end up with "pumpkin" by late August or early September -- way too early for fall decoration or Halloween and difficult to keep during the hot/warm weather season.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Aya

Thanks for the advice everyone, I plan to start them inside and then transfer them outside once it warms up.

Return to “Seed Starting Forum”