Scrappy Coco
Cool Member

Seeds Not Germinating - Suggestions What to Do?

I'm very disappointed of this year's beginning, and it really makes me feel like this year's seed germinating did not go well. The pepper seeds I managed to germinate seem to wilt, the tomato seedling is wilting because it didn't get enough water, the cucumber seeds I transplanted died, and in the overall look, it's the beginning of April (which is basically the perfect season for plants to germinate and grow in Israel) and I got almost nothing growing. I still have around 30 seeds that I'm trying to germinate, but I fear that soon enough I'd have to take the seeds out of the fridge and try again.

What do you guys suggest I do? Do I still have a chance to grow vegetables this season? Should I change soil, germinating method.. Water them more? I really have no clue guys, I'd really appreciate some support! :|

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Alas, the plants you are playing with are some of the hardest to grow. Perhaps you could try direct seeding some seeds of different varieties directly in your outdoor garden space? Bush beans, Are one of the easiest and most dependable producers. Crookneck and Zucchini squash are good too. Radish, turnip, carrot, beets and lettuce to name a few others that I like to grow.

Cucumber seed does well planted outside where it will grow. No need to start it in pots.

If you want to try again with the tomato and peppers seed, I suggest at least a six inch pot filled with potting soil, watered well then plant two seeds per pot and see if that will work for you.

Tomato and pepper seed can also be planted outside where it will grow. Worth a couple of seeds to see if this will work in your area. Shop for some early maturing varieties.

How many days frost free do you get there?

bryce d
Cool Member

every year I plant seeds indoors and then end up buying seedlings from the store. I promise not to ever start indoors again. Then next year comes around and .............

Its part of the vicious circle. Hang in there, In the fall it's all worth the trouble.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

did you read the seed starting basics thread at the top of the seed starting section? Every year I start hundreds of plants from seeds, under lights indoors. It is not difficult once you get the hang of it, but you do need 1) some basic equipment including lights, heat mat, and the right kind of potting mix and 2) a bit of experience/ knowledge about what you are doing. There is a learning curve.

Currently I have over 500 little plants in various stages of growth from just starting to potted up in 3" pots. :)

applestar
Mod

When there's a set back, it sure is discouraging, but you definitely have chance to grow vegetables "this season." :D

What kind of vegetables, though? If you have a long growing season, you still can grow peppers and tomatoes. Especially, if you have super hot summers, then you will need to adjust thinking to fall harvested peppers and tomatoes. I have found that peppers, especially hot peppers are perfectly happy to finish growing in the house after the fall frost has killed everything else outside, and will continue to fruit, sometimes through the winter if the temperatures are mild enough.

Other vegetables, too, have their own temperature and other requirements and are best grown at the right time.

Sometimes, it IS necessary to start seeds indoors and once you figure out the best technique for your indoor climate, it will become easier. I like to experiment and see how much can be done with or without what I know to be the "best set up" ... And my success rate varies accordingly, but it's possible to push the limits once you learn what to look for and what to do when the seedlings are in trouble. Learning curb, like rainbow gardener said.

...It will be easier to practice with things that are less troublesome than peppers, that's for sure. :wink:

So, what kind of climate do you have through the year, and what kind of vegetables do you want to grow? :D

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”