Scrappy Coco
Cool Member

Problem - Either too much water, or dry

So I started seed germinating about two weeks ago, and the problem is, when I put soil in cups and try to germinate the seeds in there, the soil is too moist and the seeds wilt right after they germinate. On the other hand when I germinate them outside, because the sun where I live is really strong, the seeds seem to become bent inside and start to wilt. What I think the problem is that the soil is too condensed, I use perlite, but it seems like it's not even helping. Should I use more (I use a lot), or should I use a different soil, or what should do? Also, I'm germinating seeds in full compost with perlite, no other soil mixed in but the compost.

Thanks in advanced. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Pure compost is too heavy and moisture holding for seed germinating. You need a mixture that is something like 1/3 peat moss or coconut coir, 1/3 screened compost, 1/3 perlite. You can even do 50- 50 peat and perlite (no compost), but then you will have to start fertilizing once the seedlings get going.

You said cups. What kind of cups? They do have drainage holes, right?

Scrappy Coco
Cool Member

They do have drainage holes, yeah. The problem is I can't seem to find peat moss, when I ask the guy at the store for something like compost but not compost, he just gives me regular soil. I saw him using peat moss 'in the back' and asked if I can buy some, and he told me it's not for sale. But I'll definitely mix some regular soil in, compost without other stuff does seem to be wet all the time as you said.

imafan26
Mod

Try to find the local agricultural supplier where you live. They usually will also do retail. It is usually a couple of dollars cheaper than the stores. Sometimes miracle grow sells peat moss in smaller not packed bags. Try and ask the garden center that sells miracle to bring it in. Most will, I know home depot have brought in things I have asked for even though it takes a while. Costco and Sams have a customer feedback station and you can request items. It helps if you know the product name and manufacturer like promix, sunshine, land o rock, etc.

Scrappy Coco
Cool Member

Actually, I put some regular soil with perlite (about 25% perlite) and the seeds seem to be doing much better than they did with compost only.

On that note I do have another question. Collards and cabbage, what height can they reach without any lighting at all?

Scrappy Coco
Cool Member

Okay stuff is starting to pick up, I'm not sure how it's gonna go now, but I'll open a topic in vegetable gardening photos and videos and will keep you guys updated! :)

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”