yahusakah
Newly Registered

Lavender, anyone?

I bought lavender seeds from Whole Foods a few months ago, hoping to have a little side project with my oldest daughter(4) who is very interested in my attempts at gardening. Weeeell, our seeds never did anything at all. I can't even remember how long we waited, it was a pretty good while.

Is there anything that I can do to ensure that our seeds will actually grow this next round? I'm in Nevada if it helps any.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

You didn't say where/how you planted the lavender. That being in seed starter pots, containers, ground etc. I have been starting in coir/peat pellets with med temps (60 -70 ) and light. Germinating takes awhile, then longer to get to up-potting to 4" then it seems forever to really get going.

I suggest playing with a few things with easy germination and growing for your small person. I have my (almost) 5 yr old g-son help mess with marigolds, zinnias, and a few other easies. We do seeds in the starter pellets (10 to a small tray), when up and going can go to 4", and then to pot or ground. Lots of steps to help keep their interest.

Hope this helps.

imafan26
Mod

I grew some lavender lady from seed. I started them in the fall since they have never germinated for me in hot weather. Usually I get lavendins or lavender multifida since they can handle much more heat. L. augustifolia it hard to keep alive in the summer heat and winter rains.

Lavender takes a long time to germinate and stay very small for a very long time. You need to be careful not to over water them. The need a well drained mix.

Instead of seeds, Lavender are much easier to start from cuttings and they can be started Jan- May for me.
Lavender needs to be cut back (only cut new wood) every year in January so it is a good time to make cuttings.

Use only the tips and softer wood. I root everything in perlite and I use root tone but you can use dip n grow instead.

P.S. lavender sometimes has some variability when grown from seed and the germination rate is poor so use a lot of seed.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, lavender is one of the most difficult things to start from seed and probably not a good choice for working with a four year old, because results will be so far off.

To start with, it benefits from cold stratifying. That is you put your seed on moist potting soil (just press it lightly so it is in good contact with the soil and don't cover). Sprinkle it lightly with water, then wrap the whole thing, pot and all, in plastic wrap and put it in the 'frigerator for three weeks. Then bring it out, put the planter on a heat mat to warm the soil and put lights directly over it just a few inches away. The lavender seed needs heat and light to germinate. And you have to keep it damp but not wet for up to three more weeks with the heat and light before it germinates.

Then you will have a few little seedlings that will continue to need careful care for a long time. In my climate, starting lavender indoors in February, planting it outdoors in May, by fall the seedlings may be 6" tall. Then it goes dormant in my winter and in the second year turns in to a real plant. In my climate, lavender doesn't bloom the first year from seed. Possibly it might for you, depending on where in NV you are.

There are plenty of flowers that are a lot easier and more rewarding to start from seed!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”