Cheryln
Newly Registered

Seed Potatoes ?

Hi,

So last year I grew organic (red) potatoes for the first time. My dad suggested keeping a few for seed potatoes to plant this year. They have been kept in a dark, cool-ish place all winter. I just took a peek at them and they all have super long white sprouts growing from them. I looked this up in the internet and there seems to be some conflicting information on what to do.

Do I plant them as is? or do I cut them back? Are they no good anymore?

Also, I am in Colorado with last frost date late in a short growing season, right around Memorial day. I do have a cold frame, and grow in a smart pot. When do I start my potatoes to ensure a good crop? It was thought I started them too late last year, and wanted to get an earlier start if possible.

Any advice on potato growing would be appreciated.

thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

They say to plant potatoes when the forsythia blooms. For me that turns out to be about a month prior to my average last frost date.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I plant potatoes as soon as I can get in the ground. Normally I have them in by now but this winter will not let go. I love planting the ones that have already started sprouting its like planting jump started seeds. I make sure the sprouts are covered. Just remember when you cut them up to let them dry for a day so they skin over.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”