PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Plants got too big, now outside

So I started a whole bunch of tomatoes, peppers, herbs, and flowers and most everything came up around FEB 1st. I started them out in tiny cells then they were put into dixie cups. I used a homemade potting soil and I fed them twice with a liquid fertilizer. They got so big I had to transplant my tomatoes and peppers to 2 quart containers. Room was running out so I put all the dwarf tomatoes, herbs, and flowers outside a week ago and transplanted them all 2 days ago. My indeterminate tomatoes are around 2 foot so I put them with the rest of my plants outside today. These plants got bigger a lot quicker than I anticipated.

I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. All my plants are being transplanted sooner than planned. But on the flipside I will get tomatoes and peppers earlier. My dwarf tomatoes already got flowers. I left my lights on my seedlings for 16 hours, was I supposed to cut the hours after some time? Also, all my other tomatoes and peppers all have flowers too. Should I be pinching them? Some people say to leave them because the plant will decide if it can support the fruit. But I also hear that earlier flowering/fruiting can be a sign of stress and should be pinched so the plant can focus on roots.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You are in southern calif. It should be plenty warm there by now? In which case, the sooner they go out, the better. Off to a quick start is good. I don't know where in SoCal you are and there are lots of different climates, but if you are in a hot, dry summer area, you want your tomatoes started early, because they may shut down in the heat of summer.

Pinching first flowers is controversial-- some do and some don't. I don't. If the plant really can't support the fruit, it will drop the flowers or fruit. I figure if it keeps it, it's ok. But I know some people will tell you it is better to pinch them and let it develop more first.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

To be honest it's been warm enough for almost two months. It is probably a good thing they are put out sooner. I just wasn't expecting them to be ready right now. My whole seed starting operation was done a lot better this year and that is probably why they got big and healthy so soon. I started some ginger and turmeric under a heat pad and they are all up now as well. Really happy things are starting out so well.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”