wiley1983
Newly Registered

rose seed propogating

I am wondering if it is very difficult to obtain rose seeds from your rose bushes, and would like to know what the best way to germinate them is?? do they have to be frozen for any length of time ???

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

wiley, Good question, I wouldn't think so. Plant some now, if you want or hear that they should be chilled, you can also put a couple in the freezer. It will be interesting to see what you get.

You could do a step by step, let us look over your shoulder, with pictures.

Richard

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Rose make hips. The way to get the best germination of the seed in those rose hips is to set-plant seed shallowly when the plant ripens seed in October. let it sit outdoors in the cold and wet with a screen or plank covering them, to protect from critters. I use a daffodil pan, most any pot will do.

Seed will germinate when it is good and warm in the spring.

Fiddling with seed in ziplock bags or freezing seed in freezer is not the same as the benign neglect of a winters slumber outside.

Woody plant come with inhibitors to hold back germination untill spring. Go with the flow on this. There is a reason why their wild.

wiley1983
Newly Registered

thanks for the useful tips, I am looking for seeds from all types of roses, can anyone help a feller out ??????

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I think most roses now are hybrids, and the seeds may not be viable, or sprout something other than your intentions. This is not my strong suit, and may be totally off.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”