Glassonion91168
Cool Member

4 shelf greenhouse - worth the purchase?

Hi all,

I saw this 4 shelf greenhouse in my local Ocean State Job Lot store. Is it worth purchasing, and when would be the best time to use it?

I feel like this item would be good for exposing my tomatoes to the outdoors shortly before planting into the ground, but I could be mistaken!

Thanks!
Attachments
20140304_082106.jpg
20140304_082106.jpg (28.84 KiB) Viewed 3126 times

applestar
Mod

Here's link to a post where I described using one like it in spring to harden off tomato plants
:arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 66#p251866

I think I talked about it elsewhere too but no time to look right now.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I've used homemade versions, just a metal shelf paper wrapped in clear plastic. They are very handy for a few weeks this time of year - anytime between now and sometime in May, it helps to have something like that to help with hardening off seedlings. The question is whether it is worth it to you to have something that will probably be used no more than 8 weeks of the year and then have to be stored somewhere the rest of the time.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

OK, true confessions. I got one early winter. I have stuff, mainly perennial and other starts that need some protection when going below 30 -35. We usually have plenty of that 30-ish weather. Not this year! Plan was to re-work aka clean out space against house on the deck. Southern exposure, deep eves so no direct rain. You can see where this is going!! A couple weeks ago I put the thing together with 5 yr old g-sons 'help' Hasn't been used yet.

Now, as I think we're over the arctic blasts, hope to clean out area, get it situated. I can put some stuff in, open 1st thing in AM before the babies cook, and close if temps down to below 30 -35.

Glassonion91168
Cool Member

I've generally been very successful with just the heating mats or direct sowing, so it's not crucial in my book. It is only $20 so I thought it was a good deal considering.

Starting some seeds this coming weekend indoors, woo hoo!!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

As we have a few pretty days am putting some of the babies out, with small amounts of direct sun, mostly light shade. I looked at the greenhouse frame still not in place, and light bulb came on. If I found some shade cloth could put the starts in it and protect from harsh sun rays. It will be against the house. So hang the cloth over front and let air move on sides. As I am starting stuff 12 months, this could be a good situation and not a totally stupid purchase. Sigh.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

From what I have read these things are a good investment as long as you support them well. What I mean is, don't allow them to tip over in the wind. Hook them to a piece of rebar or strap them to the house or something like that. But functionally they are great!!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Glassonion91168 wrote:Hi all,

I saw this 4 shelf greenhouse in my local Ocean State Job Lot store. Is it worth purchasing, and when would be the best time to use it?

I feel like this item would be good for exposing my tomatoes to the outdoors shortly before planting into the ground, but I could be mistaken!

Thanks!
I also saw that one in Big lots for only $29. I am going to buy one just to put about 10 flats in! I suggest you put about 10 one gallon milk jugs with warm water in them. The water will stay above 50 even if the nights are below 30. They will keep the plants from freezing from frost especially since its close to april! The day higher temp will warm them every day!

Glassonion91168
Cool Member

Thanks all! I think I may go for it!

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I have used one a for a few years it sure help keep the sparrows from eating my starts while hardening them.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”