Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Starting 4 new plastic white boxes of tomatoes seeds now!

I have been looking for something new to start my seeds. Usually when I want something different I go to the dollar stores to get ideas! Today I went to everything is a dollar one of the best dollar store! I was looking for plastic white boxes. I found what I think may replace most of my Styrofoam boxes. The plastic container is sturdy 10 by 12 inches by 4 inches deep and easy to handle. I figure to start about 3 dozen seeds in each container then thin to a dozen to leave till they are ready for the garden!

The bright white box will reflect the light back onto the plants and keep the moisture in the soil unlike the peat pots which I think are like candle wicks and loose the moisture too quick or become too soggy! I will move the plants to flats with the 4 cells and a total of about 24 in the flat or even the 36 per flat in the 6 cells per cube! I guess you can start seeds in just about anything but these white containers are easy to clean and reuse! I could get bigger ones but the weight is easy to move! I will probably put 3 to 4 inches of my potting mixes in it and cover with plastic till the seeds emerge. Any other suggestions?

I also have a question why so many seeds stick to the leaves and will not open and let the two leaves out!?

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I think the dry peat moss dries the seed and it sticks to the leaves! My tomatoes came out nice and are 8 inches high now as I started thinning them!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”