IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Jerusalem Artichoke Seeds?

So, I have harvested the seeds from my Jerusalem Artichokes that have been drying out all winter. I guess this is a 2 part question:

1. Can I propagate from the seeds I saved, or is the only way to propagate from existing tubers?

2. Assuming that I can grow from this seed; I have a bag full of seeds and the fluffy wheat looking plant matter. What is a good way to separate the seeds from this fluff? I tried blowing on the stream as I dropped it into a tub.... This made a mess, and accomplished nothing. This same technique worked well with my Tobacco seeds. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Yes they'll grow, you do mean seed tubers, the smaller ones?

Richard

Susan W
Greener Thumb

If you had a patch of Jerusalem Artichokes last season, you should have more popping up this season. If starting a new area, easiest to start from tubers. Never heard of anyone starting from seed.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I imagine if the flowers set seeds, it must be possible to grow it from seed. But I agree with Susan, that I haven't heard of it and it shouldn't be necessary. I have one little patch of JA. I keep it that way by in the fall pulling ALL of it. The tiny little pieces that get left behind are plenty to restock the patch for the following year.

billw
Cool Member

Sure, the tricky part is getting the seeds. Once you have them, you can start them just as you would sunflowers.

Like most crops propagated from tubers, they are all hybrids, so every plant from seed will be different and most will be smaller and have longer stolons than the improved clones. But, they'll be unique and you may even get a very good one.

The more you grow from seed, the more seed you will get. They are much more likely to set seed when you have multiple varieties.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I was planning on tilling them in the field at my cabin. The patch at my house is going to stay in the area it currently is in. I thought, if I saved the seeds could I just till them into an area more for the "Wild Flower", and Deer food plot than for my personal use.

However if they do not grow from the small seeds left behind then I would be wasting my time... On the other hand why would it make seeds that do not propagate? that would go against nature's way of dispersing plants over long miles and not just a local spot.... I am going to plant some in my starter grow room and see if they sprout..

I will keep you posted

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

HI, The seed will grow but may not produce a tuber the first year, like Artichoke, in up here, The seed tubers have a head start. I would plant them for sure, it will be interesting to see how they do in your area. Like to hear how they do.

Richard

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I will start a few in a coffee filter, and a few in dirt tonight. I will post updates

billw
Cool Member

Whether or not they will produce much of a crop the first year depends on how early you start them. Growing from tubers is like a 2 month head start. If you start your seeds two months before your tubers sprout, you ought to have something to harvest.

applestar
Mod

If you already have a thriving patch, you could just selectively dig up tubers to start your new patch, too. Like rainbowgardener said, they don't have to be big or very many....

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”