hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Hello sunshine!!!!

Sunny and in the 60's today, 70's for the rest of the week through Sunday. Lows in the 40's and 50's. Seedlings will stay outside in the portable cold frame 24/7, though will get a single 60 watt bulb for a little extra heat at night.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I've got about 20 plants that are ready to up pot to 1 gallon nursery pots. I'm holding off for a week or two though, for most, as the logistics are just too much trouble, when having to shuttle all of the plants inside for that occasional very cold night. Next year, I hope to have a much larger, permanent cold frame that has enough heat bulbs to take care of very cold nights. That way the plants can stay in direct light from about mid March until planting time.

imafan26
Mod

Waiting for the sun to come back here. It has been overcast and raining off and on for a week. One day it will rain the next will be overcast with the sun maybe coming out for a brief period between the clouds. Today is predicted to rain again but start getting better toward the end of the week.

Where are you sunshine?

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Ah yes! The plantlets got to go out and play for several days. Today back in or sheltered not for cold but stormy wind. I had 3 basil pots out and some in 4" starts. I thought I was watching the sun amount, but indeed have a few sunburn leaves. Spare the bit of sun burn, it's amazing the change in the color of leaves to a better green.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup, that time of year. I now have three trays of cool weather stuff (broccoli, cabbage, cilantro) going in and out. They are out right now, but will have to come back in before the rain-with-high-wind starts late this afternoon.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

hendi_alex wrote:Sunny and in the 60's today, 70's for the rest of the week through Sunday. Lows in the 40's and 50's. Seedlings will stay outside in the portable cold frame 24/7, though will get a single 60 watt bulb for a little extra heat at night.
I've got little plants popping up but I am way behind your progress, and behind from what I had this time last year. We have been COLD down here in the Heart o' Dixie. Hope to up-plant a few seedlings tomorrow, but only to five inch peat pots.

Keep us informed of your progress, so we can all have hope. I like your future plans for handling the occasional cold temps.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Here is my attempt at a method to easily expose the little seedlings to the outside world on beautiful sunny days like today. When I built my greenhouse I included a large door that opens up almost half of one wall. Today I installed some shelves on that large door.

The plants sit safely inside the greenhouse on cold days and nights.

Then, by just opening the door they can get direct sunlight and can gradually harden until ready for the garden.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”