Susan W
Greener Thumb

Basil, again

When I need to see some action (sprouting, green) start more basil! This in 10 peat or coir pellet tray. The small area for about 10 seed trays is always morphing. Now seems to have a predominance of slow start ones, so sliding in a basil shows promise, not failure! There are several varieties of native coneflower that were taken out of the frig, and they take so long, if at all. I also seeded a tray of oregano which should be medium quick.

Next, once basil up and going, needs put in a 4" pot, and in time put 2 in a 10" pot. Real estate is limited and cramped this winter. I've lost a few just by not getting things moved along, but that's a few leaves for the soup pot. What takes about 4 weeks from seed to good start in the warm months seems to take twice that with indoor lights, air etc.

applestar
Mod

I'm afraid to start basil too early because I have so limited space and I tend to give the primo warmer spots to peppers.... :o

How low temp do/can you subject the seedlings to? Can they take colder temp than the grownups?

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I have found (trial and error, lots of both), basil needs warm, especially in the beginning. If the babies and youngsters get chilled, that being below 40, they never seem to get up to speed. I would like to have some going well so at least could be out some in March-April, then for real end of April. As I need to go from 0 -60 (for the market) in a short time, run into problems. Yes, I do buy basil starts!

applestar
Mod

Ah. You are confirming my impression of basil seedlings/starts.... I guess I'll wait a little longer. :D

Susan W
Greener Thumb

MG, I would think your basil babies could get off the heat once they have true leaves. This assuming the area is 65+, can go a bit lower at night, and plenty of light. They don't like drafty window areas!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”