rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Development of a broccoli seedling

Beginners often write in here with no conception of what their seedlings should look like at different stages. So I thought I would do a few case studies. This will be a broccoli seedling and I will do one for peppers and one for tomatoes.

Other people can post their pictures too, as long as you can label it with how old it is and it is a healthy, well developing seedling. This is for what they should look like! :)

So here's some broccoli seedlings. Seeds were planted 1/17, so they are 17 days after being planted, 13 days after sprouting. They have the first true leaf completely opened up and are about two inches tall:

(double clicking takes you to photobucket where you can see it better, but it's still not the greatest photo. I'll try to do better next time!)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's a couple of the broccoli seedlings:

They are now almost a month from when the seeds were planted. They are about 4" tall, developing the fourth true leaf.

Incidentally, the one on the left is planted in home made potting soil; the one on the right in MG. You can see a slight difference in fullness. I would say the home made potting soil ones are not quite keeping up, but not seriously behind.

Here's a closer up of the home made soil one where you can see the rice hulls:

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Here is a picture of my broccoli seedling. I planted seed on February 19th and they germinated by February 22nd so these plants are about 16 days old. I need to get them into bigger pots now I think.
Broccoli.JPG
Broccoli.JPG (39.48 KiB) Viewed 1052 times
I know this is a broccoli thread but here is a picture of my Kohlrabi planted the same time but behind by 3 days due to later germination timing.
Kohlrabi.JPG
Kohlrabi.JPG (44.23 KiB) Viewed 1052 times
We haven't had much good weather and still have over 1 foot of snow everywhere so I won't be taking them outside for a little while :(

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Here are some of mine. I don't keep dates and plant in stages to harvest at different times. The larger ones in peat and top right aquaponics were all planted at the same time(2 weeks?). Surprisingly the root washed AP ones did not shock bad and seem to be keeping up with the dirt. The bottom 2 right are kale. Supplemented with maxicrop and AP is in GH.

I am very tempted to put some in the garden this week. I just turned it over and frost is gone. I am pretty new at cold weather crops.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”