Susan W
Greener Thumb

Baby food

What do you feed your babies? Plants that is! This is my 2nd yr using Johns Recipe, Lady Bug brand. It doesn't have the certified organic logo, but the ingredients look fine. Strength is rated at 3 - 1.5 -2, so hard to over-do. I mix about 1 teaspoon/ 2 qt container and water the babies and any other house plants. I start when sprouted in the pellet trays. I try for every week or so.
Have fun!
Susan

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Re: Baby food

I mix some compost into my starter mix, but never ever fertilize seedlings till they go to field.
Think like a tree
© 2016 Invisable Inc.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Now that some of you have plantlets popping up and putting out true leaves, are you feeding them? It's 2 months to frost date here, and more for some of you, so would think that need some food while staying in their little pots.
Have fun!
Susan

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Just add a few worms to your mix. Worms will eat all kinds of peat or anything organic and make it more tasty to the new seedlings! I start my seed in boxes so I add a few leaves on the bottom and throw in a few small worms! Worm castings made daily by the worms!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, while they are in pots, I don't really fertilize them per se, but will probably add some expanded alfalfa pellets, used coffee grounds, worm castings, to the mix and water with compost tea occasionally.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Return to “Seed Starting Forum”