RuHappy69

Seed starting with shop lights question?

Hi all, its been a while since I posted and was hoping someone can help. I've tried seed starting in the past with mixed results. I am starting to plant hot peppers today and each seed will have it's own small pot. I just need to know how far over the empty pots do I place the lights and once the seeds sprout how do I need to adjust the lights? Also, how often to I water them (I plan on misting with a spray bottle and I am not sure how much to 'water' without over watering them. I'm planning around 14 hours/day of light.

Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

To start with you didn't mention heat. Peppers need very warm soil for germination; best is on a heat mat.

The seeds don't need light until they germinate. Once the cotyledons (seed leaves) are above the ground, they need plenty of light. Your fluorescent tubes should be just a couple inches above the leaves, hung with chains or something so that they can be raised as the plant grows, to keep the same distance. I leave the lights on 16 hrs a day.

Misting is NOT a good way to water. What you are trying to water is the roots in the soil. It is very difficult to mist enough to get all the soil around the roots well moistened. If you don't, the peat moss in the potting mix dries out. At that point it repels water and no amount of misting will get any water to the roots. I think best is bottom watering. That is put all the pots inside of trays. Pour water in the bottom of the tray just to where the it touches the soil in the bottom of the pots. Then the soil will wick up the water it needs. (But note, you didn't say what kind of pots you are using. This method doesn't work very well with the "biodegradable" peat pots.) Second best is to pour water on top of the soil and keep doing it until water runs out the holes in the bottom. Then let it drain and then remove the water from the tray or saucer or whatever the pot is sitting on.

How often to water is the trickiest part of starting seedlings. When they are young and have little to no root system, they can't be allowed to dry out. However they are very sensitive to over-watering. What you are aiming for is to keep it just a little damp all the time. You will have to figure out with your soil and set up, how often it takes to do that.

RuHappy69

Thank you! I am using 4" biodegradable pot. I will keep the lights 2 inches above the seedlings once they sprout. Does it make sense to soak the soil first then plant the seeds 1/4" down or plant them the water?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Basically both. Wet the soil well first (you don't want mud, just very moist soil), plant the seeds and then water lightly again, to make sure the seeds and top layer of soil are dampened.

Incidentally, except for really large seeds like beans, I really don't bury seeds. I just press them down lightly to be sure they are in good contact with the soil and then sprinkle a light layer of soil on top.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”