oggy

Viability of germinating store bought blueberries?

Hi all, I bought a small container of blueberries from the super market only to find out that they were spoiled and no good. Would it be viable to save the seeds and attempt to germinate them?
I live in cold, cold Vermont. We have wild blueberry bushes around here but none of them around my home produce fruit anymore.

billw
Cool Member

Sure. They won't grow true - that is, they will not have the same characteristics as the parent plant, since blueberries are usually clones. However, that doesn't mean they'll be bad. Every plant will probably be a little different.

Put your spoiled berries in the freezer for about three months. They need that time in the freezer to break dormancy. Then, thaw them, extract the seeds, and plant.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Well there is a good chance that those are southern highbush blueberries which will NOT grow up by you. Furthermore it will be years before the plant will produce a meager harvest at best. I recommend just buying a plant in the spring. They are cheap and you can get some that you know will do well in your area.

applestar
Mod

Hmm... Fresh blueberries bought this season would be from South America somewhere right? Did it say on the package? Country of origin may provide clue to type of cultivar.

(FWIW -- I try not to buy imported out of local season fruits except for tropical fruits... But that's another topic :wink: )

oggy

Alright, good to know.
I want to try to get them growing in my home just to see if they will germinate. My growing box has plenty of room right now so if anything it's going to be for the experience!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”