gardeningwithe

Winter Sowing

Anyone ever winter sown seeds- putting them in containers and setting them outside so they will over winter and then sprout when it warms up. Suppose to harden them off? I'm considering trying it though I better get on it- may have to do it next year IDK it could be too late? Any advice or information would be appreciated.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Its not too late. I use a clear tote for tomato and annuals. (peppers need more heat). Once they have germinated I bring my couple tote indoors at night for tender plants like tomato. Cole crops onion ect just stay outside.

I'm about sure Trudi Davidoff has written several reams on this topic.

gardeningwithe

oh ok! I'll check them out. Thanks!

applestar
Mod

You winter sow tomatoes too? When do they come up and do they mature fast enough for good harvest?

kayjay
Green Thumb

I'll be trying this. Our electric bills have been outrageous, and I'm loathe to start seeds under indoor lights. I might shell out for one small setup to do peppers and tomatoes, but it would be nice if the tomatoes were successful outside.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

kayjay wrote:I'll be trying this. Our electric bills have been outrageous, and I'm loathe to start seeds under indoor lights. I might shell out for one small setup to do peppers and tomatoes, but it would be nice if the tomatoes were successful outside.
Look into the flower pot heaters, and Crisco candles. I kept my grow room(located in my un insulated garage) 77 yesterday when our power was out for 6 hours without a problem. I have used the candle, in a 115 oz can, for 2 days total with very little crisco burnt out. I am going to build 2-3 more to help heat my greenhouse in March. Pretty good savings when you consider I can heat the grow room for a week for just over $10.

gardeningwithe

Wow ... $10 that's not bad at all!!!! We've started some seeds indoors and wintersown other so we will have to see how it all pans out.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”