PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

My seed starting set up -- want your opinions

Hi,

So I am getting ready to start my seeds. I am only starting about 18 plants. They are 4 tomato varieties, 4 pepper varieties, few basil plants, Culantro, Kale and a chinese green. I have started my seeds in the past with a 4 foot shop light with daylight bulbs and no heat pad. It has worked out ok. But this year I am going to start using a heat pad. I also need some deeper containers for my tomatoes and peppers because when I finally do transplant them out they are rootbound. I use dixie cops that measure about 4.5 inch deep.

Are these kits any good?

https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/prod ... rting-kits

It comes with a heatpad and pellets to start seeds. I won't use the dome. Are those pellets good to use? If I use them, I will transplant the sprouts to a 3 inch tall container, most will stay there, but I will transplant once more to a 6 inch deep (2 Qt) container for my tomatoes and peppers. These were the pots I had in mind https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/prod ... l-supplies

What do you guys think?

Meatburner

Looks like a nice setup to me Punk. I do use the dome until the seeds germinate as it keeps the humidity high. Once they germinate, they come off the heat pad and stay under the lights. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I am one of the few here who uses peat pellets, well much prefer the coir pellets. As I have a few of several varieties (herbs, perennials, eclectic assortment) going at any given time, 12 months, use the small trays. These hold 10 or 12 pellets. With that can treat each variety as an entity. I use a dome sometimes, set off center to allow for some air. Some varieties need chilling, so put in veggie drawer of frig. I don't use a heat mat, but then have a unique situation. A small table at one end of smallish kitchen is over a heat register, rendering the table warm when heat on! There are windows plus extra lights keeping that area warm.

So, long story made medium, perhaps you could find the small trays with the pellets. Our Lowes has some of their stuff out. I've also seen them at Dollar General, Big Lots and my other fave shopping haunts. The trays are re-used until they get torn up, re-fill pellets available.

Once plants up with real leaves, roots showing out the bottom, up we go! I usually use the 4" square pots, left from starts I bought, or from the stacks of re-cycled at garden center. The Lowes I shop has a re-cycle shelf for pots and trays where I check for small, then pints and quart sizes. You can often put 2 starts in one 4" pot. I do this with basil, just put in opposite corners. When planting in final large pot or ground, the 2 plant starts separate almost by themselves.

Hope this helps

Susan W
Greener Thumb

In 2nd thoughts, PR, why do you need a heat mat and set-up? Your kale and greens planted directly in ground, whenever that is for you. Basil sprouts fine at 70, and surely your house temp plus some light would give that. For you perhaps best to keep away from the air conditioning vent! For tomatoes and peppers putting the small trays on top of frig may be enough warm to sprout.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

My fridge does not get warm on top for some reason. Only reason I want the kit is cause it has a heat pad and is more neat. I usually make a mess when I start my seeds and I think the heat will give me a better start too. I also wanna start Ginger and Turmeric and they need a lot of warmth. Last year I had none just room temps and they didn't sprout until around July. About the Kale, I like to start inside and let it get a little size on it cause caterpillars like to attack it. I've lost small plants before that got eaten down to the ground. I checked Home Depot yesterday and they had nothing out for seed starting. I also never see anything clearanced. I think cause here in southern California it is pretty much year round gardening, they are able to sell most of the merchandise. I have even asked about torn/damaged bags and clearanced stuff before and they look at me odd like as if I asked them a crazy question.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Looks good to me. Those pellets look good but I do NOT recommend the peat ones. Mine have always failed to sprout anything and just mold.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”