PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Re: 2014 Starting Seeds

All my Basil is up now. I am thinking tomorrow might be tomatoes.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

All the basil, including the purple and red ones? That's very fast. In my experience they are slower sprouting as well as slower growing than the green. I planted my purple basil Tues (1/28), I hope it is as fast. Next for you might be the anise hyssop (one of my favorite things to grow, good choice! :) ). I have that planted too and it took 4 days to germinate for me.

2014 gardens here we come! :clap:

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Yes all the Basil is up. And I looked just now and the tomatoes are up too. I had two anise hyssop plants already and they would have overwintered but the neighbor kept putting their sprinklers on and flooding this little area we had. After we even told them to not do it they never listened and my anise ayssop died.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

My tomatoes are doing great! Most of them are working on their second set of true leaves and are looking great! A few days ago I planted a ton of peppers, basil and squash. I did the baggie method for the bell peppers and it worked great. My jalapenos and bells are both up as well. I was planning on moving the biggest tomatoes out to the greenhouse but the lows are in the upper 30's. I still might because it is in a warm micro-climate but I do not want to rush it.

Molly_Lenore
Newly Registered

This is what I have so far. Rather or not all of these will be planted, & how many of each..remains a mystery :wink: Also I'm an impulse buyer at the local farmer's market here.. so many sweet old farmer couples with their beautiful starter plants for super cheap, I can't pass those up! There's a lady who always has the best Cherokee Purple and grape-sized tomato plants for sale every year, 4 for $1, so I just get those from her & save me some space in my seed starting area.

Russian Mammoth (in my avatar is 1 I grew 2 summers ago) & Paquito Colorado sunflowers

Yellow crookneck squash

French tarragon

California bell peppers

gourmet blend lettuce

strawflowers

bachelor buttons

black hollyhocks

chantennay carrots

Jack o lantern & sugar pumpkins

straight 8 cucumbers

dark green bloomsdale spinach

mesclun

blue lake pole beans

cherry bell radishes

dwarf blue scotch curled kale

cilantro

Oregon sugar pea pods

Sierra gold cantelopes

rainbow Swiss chard

allsweet watermelon

Parris island lettuce

indigo rose tomatoes

rainbow blend carrots

black giant tomatoes

royal burgundy bush beans

Romanesco broccoli

Chinese red noodle beans

striped German tomatoes

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Of course you realize this is a very mixed bag as far as starting from seed. Different people might sort the list different ways, but here is my take on it. All the cucurbits (melons, cukes, etc) can be started indoors, but only a week or so before your last frost date or they will outgrow the space. Lots of people just wait until the soil warms up and direct plant them. All the root crops like carrot and radish do not transplant well and really have to be direct seeded. Lettuce and chard are so cold hardy, there's not much to gain by starting them indoors - then you have to harden them off. If direct seeded, they are already hardened.
Start indoors:

French tarragon

California bell peppers

cilantro

indigo rose tomatoes

black giant tomatoes

Romanesco broccoli

striped German tomatoes

Could go either way

sunflowers

Yellow crookneck squash

strawflowers

bachelor buttons

Jack o lantern & sugar pumpkins

straight 8 cucumbers

Sierra gold cantelopes

allsweet watermelon

Direct seed in the ground

gourmet blend lettuce

black hollyhocks (biennial, usually fall planted)

chantennay carrots

dark green bloomsdale spinach

mesclun

blue lake pole beans

cherry bell radishes

dwarf blue scotch curled kale

Oregon sugar pea pods

rainbow Swiss chard

Parris island lettuce

rainbow blend carrots

royal burgundy bush beans

Chinese red noodle beans

Molly_Lenore
Newly Registered

I hadn't planned on starting them all indoors, but your update to the list is quite handy. Matter of fact I never would've guessed the beans and sugar peas should go right into the ground. Thanks :)

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”