Susan W
Greener Thumb

What was I thinking!

I just placed a small order with Horizon Herbs in OR for more seeds. You may have noticed I like the eclectic, native, etc. The ones ordered today I'll be working on starting, and will have some success and some failure. If I can get some to germinate, then will go to 4" pots. Winter is touchy, and a junk shoot for weather. These want to be outside, but figure to carry in if temps go below 25 or so. Then try to get them big enough to look like something come April. This includes the lavender starts already in 4" pots (established lavender takes cold, but not sure of babies).

Coneflower, yellow. Echinacea paradoxa. Native to the Ozarks.

Lavender, munstead

Savory, winter. Why not try! I do have a couple of pots from nursery starts. I'll work on summery savory (annual) for next season

Rue. That has been a good one for me. It's pretty, evergreen and said to ward of the plague. Also good for financial success. Can't go wrong there!

Vervain, blue. Vervain hastata. Native to US. Another why not!

Wormwood absinth. That's one of the woody ones, and may fail, but why not try! I've lost $3 on sillier things.

imafan26
Mod

It will still be a valiant effort. The seeds that are marginal can be saved for next year when they will have a better chance of surviving. I have 13 year old dill seeds and lettuce from 2005 that still germinate so it is worth a try, or at least reserve some of the seeds just in case the winter planting does not work out. If they do make it though, you will have a jump on the next year. Gardening is often experimenting and pushing the boundaries of what is possible and sometimes being very surprised by the results.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”